Wild Augur

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

Wild Augur

#1 Post by Warskull »

The Wild Augur has dedicated themselves to studying the ebb and flow of magic in its pure unadulterated form. Advanced augur's manipulate the pure magic and channel it through their own bodies, an experience described as an ecstasty better than any drug could ever create. The practice is banned by the Elven Nations and no group outside the felorcs dare touch it, as practicers are literaly bombs waiting to explode.

Innate - Conduit: Fill target creep with a devastating magical energy killing it instantly, for every 10 levels this bounces to another nearby unit, also killing it instantly.

Thus at level 10 it would kill 2 units (1 selected, 1 random) and at level 44 it would kill 5 units (4 random.)

Obliterate: Using his own body as a conduit for raw magical energy the Wild Augur unleashed destructive bolt of energy the likes of which is rarely seen. Deals X damage, but reflects damage back on the Wild Augur based on how much health the enemy hero had when the spell was cast.

Idea for reflect damage: Spell Damage * (1 - [target health/target max health] * 2), calculated before spell damage is applied. Thus if the spell does 100 damage and you cast it on a 50% health target you take 100 damage. If you cast it on a 0% health target you would take 200 damage.

This is ideally a very high damage single target nuke, but something you do not want to use on weak targets otherwise you will blow yourself up with them.

Sizzling Energy: Enchant units with a dangerous, unstable, sizzling energy. Units under the effect deal an additional X damage per attack. Units that die under this effect explode dealing Y damage to nearby units.

Magic Eater(passive): Any time the Wild Augur takes damage from a magical source, x% of that damage is converted to mana. Self damage from Obliterate and The Perfect Drug triggers this.

Destroy Magic: The Wild Augur converts all magical effects in the area to a pure, burning energy. Dispell all magical effects in the area and deal X damage to any unit affected. Summons take Y damage.

Ultimate - The Perfect Drug: Surges magical energies throughout his body, dealing X damage to himself, regaining Y mana, and increasing his evocation damage by Z% for 20 seconds.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Re: Wild Augur

#2 Post by Perhaps »

Blizzard wrote:Creeps are neutral units that generally don't like you, regardless of what type of blood runs through your veins.
source: Warcraft III: Creeps

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#3 Post by Tehw00tz »

Perhaps, drop that shit. Nobody is going to go out of their way to call them "allied units" or "enemy army units"
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#4 Post by Dekar »

Ofc not, they are called spawns. Or creeps if you want to distinguish them from spawn tower units...

While reading the hero idea I liked it more and more, until I was done with the first 3 skills and started reading the second half where the idea went down the drain.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by CryptLord1234 »

My $0.02 on this hero as well:

================================

Conduit: Killing 5 units randomly seems to have overshot the lack of AoE your other hero has. It's a bit too much, depending on the cooldown.

Possible Changes: Possibly kill the target, or the first 2 targets, and damage the rest? That would be a little better in my opinion.

Obliterate: This one confuses me. A single-target nuke that is inadvisable to use against people at low health? It would need another nuke to work with it. It seems to drive heroes off rather than kill them, which is the objective.

Possible Changes: Possibly drop the formula when it goes below 20% health, and instead add a debuff to the caster which reduces attack power, armor, and intelligence for a short time? Would make it so you can kill with Obliterate, which is one of the only spells he has to hit heroes.

Sizzling Energy: Something I know I would use on every cooldown, although I wonder why the units aren't taking damage if the energy is so dangerous.

Possible Changes: add a damage over time effect, possibly, and scale up X. Maybe have a chance for each unit to stun for a second and deal an additional Z damage? Something else.

Magic Eater (Passive): I'll be the first to say it: Yak doesn't like pure passive abilities, and this is purely passive. Other than that, I would thing x would have to be something large to make it worth putting points into.

Possible Changes: Add an active ability, and perhaps have the passive do something else. Possibly combine Destroy Magic into Magic Eater for an active and add another spell? (Could be an alternate change from the one I suggested in Obliterate)

Destroy Magic: I believe there is a spell in the game already that does exactly this. (Will confirm)

Possible Changes: Make it do something else; a shield, perhaps, or reduced magic damage taken? That is, if you don't combine it with Magic Eater.

The Perfect Drug: Why would I do this when I could hit a mana potion and not lose health? The Evocation damage can be done without.

Possible Changes: Have it give him more buffs, more speed, something else. As it is, this ability doesn't seem worth the time.

================================

Sorry if this seems hostile, I'm just trying to help you improve the hero. This guy needs a bit of work -- He has AoE, but as of now, he doesn't have a spell worth using against heroes, which is something each hero needs. He does seem pretty interesting, though.

Also, talents?

EDIT: Color coded for (hopefully) easier reading.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#6 Post by Perhaps »

Tehw00tz wrote:Perhaps, drop that shit. Nobody is going to go out of their way to call them "allied units" or "enemy army units"
Well, I don't expect people to say "allied X" and "enemy X" to distinguish in general terms, even though when it comes to distinguishing enemy and allied, using "creep" would require you to say "allied creep" or "enemy creep" anyways. Question is, does creep really need more meanings?

Creep: "A sketchy person."

Creep: "Living substance that occupies the ground that is requires for Zerg Buildings to build on, while other races cannot build or land structures on."

Creep: "Neutral hostile unit."

United Creep: "Race in EotA (some say Creep for short)"

Creep Army: "Non-hero units."

Or maybe I'm the wrong person to be flagged as an "otakukin" as I'm the only one who realizes I'm not a fucking smurf and not pile a bunch of meanings to a word when there is already another word for it. "I'm in creep with Creepette, I'm going to creep out for a creep."

Funny thing is, "going out of the way" in terms of typing, Creep if 5 characters and Army is four characters. Har.

Why push it? Because having multiple meanings causes ambiguity. And why is disambiguation important? Well Bob, it prevents confusion. And what is bad about confusion exactly? Well it's causes gaps in communication, misunderstandings happen, people who can agree about a topic can actually argue against each other due to poor wording.

Seeing how army is a working and better word that's been around longer than creep. Amuse me, what do you propose when multiple of these "creep" types can exist in the same conversation/map/context/etc. to distinguish them apart rather than actually calling them what they are?

Also, if you really want me to "shut the hell up about it," correct usage is the quickest route.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#7 Post by jamn455 »

But if you use Army, you have to specify which army.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by DarnYak »

#1, calling them creeps only matters if its otherwise ambiguous. Usually, its not, outside of asking if its a creep hero (becuase some people think United Creeps, but sometimes people think tavern hero)

#2, I prefer the word spawns

DarnYak

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#9 Post by Tehw00tz »

If they get dragons do we have to specify that they're air force units, calling a flying unit an army unit is obviously one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

#10 Post by Warskull »

Sorry if this seems hostile, I'm just trying to help you improve the hero. This guy needs a bit of work -- He has AoE, but as of now, he doesn't have a spell worth using against heroes, which is something each hero needs. He does seem pretty interesting, though.
Nitpicking and bouncing ideas back and forth is how you hammer out a good hero.
Magic Eater (Passive): I'll be the first to say it: Yak doesn't like pure passive abilities, and this is purely passive. Other than that, I would thing x would have to be something large to make it worth putting points into.

Possible Changes: Add an active ability, and perhaps have the passive do something else. Possibly combine Destroy Magic into Magic Eater for an active and add another spell?
I was thinking about this, but forget if you could do a passive/active combo skill.
Obliterate: This one confuses me. A single-target nuke that is inadvisable to use against people at low health? It would need another nuke to work with it. It seems to drive heroes off rather than kill them, which is the objective.

Possible Changes: Possibly drop the formula when it goes below 20% health, and instead add a debuff to the caster which reduces attack power, armor, and intelligence for a short time? Would make it so you can kill with Obliterate, which is one of the only spells he has to hit heroes.
The idea here is a highly dangerous/brutal skill that very rapidly puts a hero in the danger area. Giving the hero a skill like this and a reliable second nuke would be dangerous. He'll probably have to rely on other heroes to finish people. Dominating a lane has its value's too. Perhaps the backlash damage could go down to a 1.5 times multiplier instead of a 2 times multiplier. Meaning the equal damage point would be 33% remaining health.

It you roll destroy magic into magic eater, then you could convert conduit into a skill you level.

Conduit: Creates a crackling surge of energy in the area filling X (1/2/3/4/5/6) spawns with violent energy causing them to explode dealing Y damage to nearby units.

Then remove the explosion from sizzling energy and have it apply a degen to spawns (but not to players.)
The Perfect Drug: Why would I do this when I could hit a mana potion and not lose health? The Evocation damage can be done without
I suppose then this could be converted to recover both health and mana and get an evocation damage bonus.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by CryptLord1234 »

The idea here is a highly dangerous/brutal skill that very rapidly puts a hero in the danger area. Giving the hero a skill like this and a reliable second nuke would be dangerous. He'll probably have to rely on other heroes to finish people. Dominating a lane has its value's too. Perhaps the backlash damage could go down to a 1.5 times multiplier instead of a 2 times multiplier. Meaning the equal damage point would be 33% remaining health.
I guess the idea of having a highly dangerous skill that threatens heroes is a great idea, but if I'm doing a 1v1 as any hero, I know that ALL I'll have to do is survive that first hit and you've suddenly got nothing to throw at me. Also, having to rely on other heroes to kill? I don't know that that's such a good idea. From the games I've played online, people like to be able to single-handedly take care of opponents, not rely on others. But you do have a point in saying that dominating a lane is worth its while, too.
It you roll destroy magic into magic eater, then you could convert conduit into a skill you level.
And make a new innate for him? I'm intrigued.
I suppose then this could be converted to recover both health and mana and get an evocation damage bonus.
I guess I need to be a bit more clear with what I say. I like the idea of trading something for something else, but HP -> Mana isn't the wisest idea, in my opinion, as there are more viable options. Trade HP for something that we can't necessarily upgrade -- Attack power/speed, maybe a life-stealing attack. . .Lose speed and HP for a 75% reduction in damage taken and maybe some chance to crit? There are plenty of routes to take!
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

#12 Post by Warskull »

Innate - Brilliant Burst: Concentrate magically energy on a single point causing a bright explosion in the air. This blinds nearby enemy units reducing their vision range to 0 for X seconds.

Obliterate: Using his own body as a conduit for raw magical energy the Wild Augur unleashed destructive bolt of energy the likes of which is rarely seen. Deals X damage, but deals backlash damage back on the Wild Augur based on how much health the enemy hero had when the spell was cast.

Backlash damage: Spell Damage * (1 - [target health/target max health] * 1.75)

Sizzling Energy: Enchant units with a dangerous, unstable, sizzling energy. Heroes under this effect gain bonus damage. Spawns under this effect gain bonus damage, a small feedback effect, but suffer from health degen.

Magic Eater(passive): Any time the Wild Augur takes damage from a magical source, x% of that damage is converted to mana. Self damage from obliterate triggers this.

Magic Eater(active): The Wild Augur converts all magical effects in the area to a pure, burning energy. Dispell all magical effects in the area and deal X damage to any summoned unit in the area. After a few seconds the magical energy explodes dealing Y damage * number of effects dispelled. (think like flamestrike, giving players a chance to run.)

Conduit: Creates a crackling surge of energy in the area filling X (1/2/3/4/5/6) spawns with violent energy causing them to explode dealing Y damage to nearby enemy units.

Ultimate - The Perfect Drug: Sacrifice X% health and gain Y% mana over 30 seconds. Gain bonus effects on spells for the duration:

-Obliterate also causes the enemy to lose mana
-Sizzling energy gives heroes feedback damage
-Conduit causes units hit by it to be slowed (ala thunderclap)
-Magic Eater's burst stuns units hit by it

I think cooldown and duration should match here, so you can really push the skill at the cost of your heroes health. Maybe obliterate could stun and magic eater could burn mana.
I guess the idea of having a highly dangerous skill that threatens heroes is a great idea, but if I'm doing a 1v1 as any hero, I know that ALL I'll have to do is survive that first hit and you've suddenly got nothing to throw at me
Problem is if you have a devastating skill that puts the enemy in danger of dying and then have another reliable damage source to finish them off with you have a really dangerous killing machine on your hands. I think with this rework, you have ways to finish them, but if they play smart they can avoid the damage sources other than obliterate.
I guess the idea of having a highly dangerous skill that threatens heroes is a great idea, but if I'm doing a 1v1 as any hero, I know that ALL I'll have to do is survive that first hit and you've suddenly got nothing to throw at me. Also, having to rely on other heroes to kill? I don't know that that's such a good idea. From the games I've played online, people like to be able to single-handedly take care of opponents, not rely on others. But you do have a point in saying that dominating a lane is worth its while, too.
Surviving the first hit isn't entirely true. He can only safely throw it at you if you are high health. He can always decide "$#@! it, I'm taking him with me me" and kill himself to kill you (which puts him slightly ahead.) Nothing prevents him from using it to finish you off, it just has harsh consequences if he does. Maybe he pops a potion and has the health to spare.

Remember he will be like a cornered animal with this skill. If you have 25% health left, but he only has 5% health left, he really has nothing to lose by killing himself to take you out.

Also keep in mind what can happen if he has a healer healing up the backlash damage. If he has solid healing he can get really reckless with it. That's why I had such a strong backlash.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#13 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Okay, you've proven your point about the Final Cut. I just keep imagining that I'm keeping myself up at a high level, constantly.

Also, side note: Brilliant Burst is great, except for the fact that the enemy units won't auto-acquire your units. Maybe not 0, but some low number?

EDIT: replaced "Creeps" with "enemies". Not bringing that into this thread too.

Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

#14 Post by Warskull »

CryptLord1234 wrote:Okay, you've proven your point about the Final Cut. I just keep imagining that I'm keeping myself up at a high level, constantly.

Also, side note: Brilliant Burst is great, except for the fact that the enemy units won't auto-acquire your units. Maybe not 0, but some low number?

EDIT: replaced "Creeps" with "enemies". Not bringing that into this thread too.
Yeah, anything small is good. The basic idea if after he tags you with one, targeting him can be a real bitch (that's why it hits spawns too.) Maybe 0-1 for a hero and just a very small range for creep. Enough so the creeps don't go stupid, but they still don't spot things for the hero who got blinded.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#15 Post by Reaper »

Yeah I don't think sacrificing more than 3 units is really a great idea
[Reaper]