Draft Mode

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Ion
Communist

Draft Mode

#1 Post by Ion »

Since EotA' salready undergone a bit of DotAcization through the addition of AP mode, I figured why not suggest adding in a draft mode so that we can actually play AP in an IH (if there's ever one again) with some seriousness that isn't all just about who clicks RK/Eido/Glacier first and gets infinite shell.

I am not sure if that's actually what it's called in DotA but that's certainly how it works. My suggestion would be to add two variants of the mode; one where you each take turns drafting heroes for your team, and the other variant being where you draft heroes for the other team. I assume this is workable, though it would give headaches in coding no doubt.

I'm too lazy to discuss the pros/cons but the possibility of being able to choose it would be good.
Ion.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

Re: Draft Mode

#2 Post by DarkNemesis »

You act like EotA is getting worse, not better. Remember the old versions? Terribly imbalanced and whoever hired and built the most towers won? DotA has some fine elements, I don't se why you need to go and hammer it. Yes, its too focued on personal hero and gold-gaining, but other than that, a good enough game, though I hardly ever play anymore.

I do have to agree with you, however, on the shield issue. I was meaning to address this earler, but whatever. Ice Shield needs a nerf, it is riduculus, expecially considering Tyrant is as strong (or stronger) than Gravel. Plus, if you put Alexander together it makes them literrally imposible to kill. Eidolons shield is fine, I think, though a high lvl Spore+Evasion armor can make him just as difficult to down. Maybe even more so.
My thoughts:

How about half dmg block if comboed with other shields?

Also, Icons for the shields would be nice. In any event, something needs to be done, either that or we scrap AP mode. It can get way too powerful.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#3 Post by Perhaps »

Considering you have to access it via advanced hosting options, I wouldn't take it seriously. Especially when there's other game breaking features, like changing upgrade rate, spawn times, spawn limits, all heroes, etc. Max Starfall Upgrade, max fireball attack upgrade for casters, maxxed range attack speed, fire arrows, beast thing for archers, while the highest level hero is level 12, is just fucked up if you ask me, but that's just me going a bit off tangent.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Since EotA' salready undergone a bit of DotAcization through the addition of AP mode
It's hardly DotA-ization. Removing faction restrictions wasn't made by DotA, nor is draft mode. It's all just features.

My original position was something akin to what Perhaps posted - if people really want to do draft, they can just organize it themselves pre-game. That said, I'm not sure I've ever heard of that being done. So if people would use this, I'm not against adding it, it probably wouldn't take much.

DarnYak

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by Perhaps »

Good, someone who realizes it wasn't a mode suggestion.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#6 Post by jamn455 »

New mode when unit upgrades return. You select the opposing teams upgrades.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#7 Post by Perhaps »

Webs and sight range!

Ion
Communist

#8 Post by Ion »

It's hardly DotA-ization. Removing faction restrictions wasn't made by DotA, nor is draft mode. It's all just features.

My original position was something akin to what Perhaps posted - if people really want to do draft, they can just organize it themselves pre-game. That said, I'm not sure I've ever heard of that being done. So if people would use this, I'm not against adding it, it probably wouldn't take much.

DarnYak
I agree, sorry if it offended you, I suppose I more meant the game was moving offered new different strategies (not sarcasm).

The reason why I suggested it is because with all the additional noob-friendly features, a built-in draft mode would help noobs out when they aren't able to properly plan out the game. As well, it also makes it so you can plan in-game and don't have to sit in the chat-room for an IH setting out what every person's going to do and just trust someone won't make the mistake. That being said, because you'd needs someone to draft the other teams heroes, it might not work, but I don't see any reason not to attempt it unless it really is irksome to implement.
You act like EotA is getting worse, not better. Remember the old versions? Terribly imbalanced and whoever hired and built the most towers won? DotA has some fine elements, I don't se why you need to go and hammer it. Yes, its too focued on personal hero and gold-gaining, but other than that, a good enough game, though I hardly ever play anymore.
I find it quite macrotastic and I don't mind it being focused on "personal" heroes (given I only get one) or "gold-gaining" (thought we were all libertarians here not communists; gold for the man who earns it!). I am only talking here strictly about pre-game hero selection (in particular, adding in the feature to facilitate an easier and more spontaneous hero-selection that requires less in-chat planning).

My point is, if it's doable why not try and see how works and how people like it, since the next version's a test-all anyway.
Ion.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by DarnYak »

I agree, sorry if it offended you, I suppose I more meant the game was moving offered new different strategies (not sarcasm).
Wasn't offense, just pointing out these are universal and not something DotA made. I have no problem drawing from the universal pool of idea, copying straight from DotA on the other hand would make me feel guilty.

DarnYak