Items! a general overview

Post strategies and guides, and comment on those that others have written.

Moderator: Mills

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

Items! a general overview

#1 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Ok, so I thought I'd post a thread regarding Items and their use. You can buy your hero whatever item you wan't, none of what I'm saying is cemented in stone, but with that said, certain items have the potential to greatly effect your heroes overall preformance. For instance, it makes more sense to buy STr and Armor based items for Tanks and INt based ones for Casters, there are some exceptions, but generally, thats how things go. With that said, let us consider the items listed.

P.S. personal thoughts or suggestions would be nice too, feel free to give your own opinions. :) !!

First of all there are several "types" of items. Rings are the only items that are stackable, you can only have one of the others at a time.

Orbs
Rings
Gloves
Armor
Helmets
Ultimates (note: some of these may fall under previous catagories such as Orb of Furry, while others lack a title completely).

Orbs

Orb of Skill
Stats: +25 INt/AGi.
Title: Orb
Use: Most/all INt or AGi based hereos. Useful for some STr heroes also.
Summery: By far one of the best items in EotA, Orb of Skill is sought after for its well-roundedness and generous price.

Orb of Battle
Stats: +35 Attack dmg.
Use: Mainly for DPS, some tank builds.
Summery: A great and cheap little orb for those high dmg heroes or ones with a crit spell.

Orb of the Magi
Stats: max mana +375/mana regen + 200%.
Use: Ideal for heroes using or needing alot of mana.
Summery: A nice item for those high mana heroes.

Orb of Life
Stats: +700hp/5 hp regen.
Use: Primarily Tanks.
Summery: A must-have for Tank builds! combining this with Knight's Armor or Plate Helm will make your hero almost unkillable at early lvls. :wink:

Orb of Fury (Ultimate).
Stats: +50 Attack dmg. Effect: Shockwave, randomly bursts out a 200 dmg shockwave.
Use: Replacement for Orb of Battle.
Summery: A great replacement for the Orb of Battle due to its increased Attack dmg and reasonable price.

Rings

Ring of Wisdom
Stats: +30 INt.
Title: Ring
Use: INt based heroes.
Summery: Athough not the cheapest item, ideal nonetheless for INt heroes for its stackability and, more often than not, spell dmg increase. Most INt heroes are largely affected by Intelligence and enough of it can also be used to replace the need for mana regen items.

Ring of Might
Stats: +30 STr
Use: STr based hereos/Tank builds.
Summery: Often bought in groups of 2 to 4, the Ring of Might is the backbone of a good Tank build. STr based heroes often have a spell or two affected by STr, another good reason to purchase these in groups rather than singles.

Warrior's Ring
Stats: +15 Armor, 10 STr, 20 Attack dmg.
Use: Mainly Tank/DPS hybrids, although flexible.
Summery: Unlike the the Ring of Might, this ring focuses more on an all-around Tank build, rather than just mass HP. High armor is crucial for an effective Tank, and a little added attack dmg is a nice touch. Mixing these with the STr rings is also a good idea if Tanking is your shooting goal. If not, this ring is still ideal for its flexiblity.

Dexterous Ring
Stats: +30 AGi
Use: AGi based heroes.
Summery: A nasty but nice touch to AGi based heroes. A couple of these with some crit gloves and an Orb of Battle spell disaster for weak INt heroes and Casters. Mixing these with Warrior's Rings are particularly effective for a DPS build.

Gloves

Gloves of Evocation
Stats: +20% Evocation spell dmg.
Title: Gloves
Use: INt based heroes/Evocation spell based heroes.
Summery: Primarily usefull for most INt heroes, these are a great way to boost nukes such as Smite, Dengeration, Holy Strike, Ice Lance, Hazard Slash, and many others. These gloves also greatly benefit certain STr based heroes such as Rune Knight, Scarab and Time Cleric. In most cases Evocation is better for increasing spell dmg than INt, but be cautious when choosing, as INt adds mana unlike Evo and may benefit other spells Evo won't.

Rogue Gloves
Stats: +40AGi
Use: AGi based heroes.
Summery: Very nice item for AGi heroes due to its large AGi bonus, athough kinda expensive. Some AGi heroes work well with Guilding Gloves too, so leave that option open as well.

Guilding Gloves
Stats: +30% critical strike.
Use: Primarily AGi heroes.
Summery: Guilding Gloves work well with a high/quick dmg option. So if your hero has low Attack dmg and not specd primarily for AGi, these should not be needed would likely only take up precious slot space.

Armor

Scoreror's Robes
Stats: +35 INt/15 Armor.
Title: Armor
Use: INt dependant heroes.
Summery: Hightly Recommendand for any hero needing extra INt. Just make sure you don't already have another Armor piece picked out.

Knight's Armor
Stats: +60 Armor/5 STr
Use: Tank builds.
Summery: A highly sought after item for Tank building. Goes very nicely with Orb of Life and/or STr Rings. However, if your not planinng on buying a helmet then definitly go with Plate Helm instead, as its stats are better overall for Tanking, though its more expensive.

Robes of Resistance
Stats: +30 Armor/25% spell dmg reduction.
Use: INt heroes/AGi heroes.
Summery: Ideal in those Caster vs. Caster instances. Also usefull for light melee AGi heroes who are exposed in battle and lack the protection of mass STr such as Tanks. Overall, a very nice piece to have, and the extra Armor is great.

Leather Armor
Stats: +20 Armor, 15% Evade, 25% Attack speed.
Use: Mainly DPS heroes.
Summery: A more particular item, though nonetheless usefull. Effective with light AGi heroes who need some Evasion, Armor, and Attack speed.

Helmets

Plate Helm
Stats: +50 Armor/500 Hp
Title: Helmet
Use: Tank build.
Summery: Arguably the best Tank building item, the Plate Helm is pricey but nonetheless a must-have. Far superior to the Knight's Armor overall, Plate Helm should always be purchased over the Knight's Armor unless your planning on another helmet. If your debating Knight's over Plate, their really shouldn't be one, get the Plate! always. Its worth the extra gold.

Helm of Champions
Stats: +15 Armor, 5 STr, 25 AGi.
Use: AGi heroes.
Summery: Heed my words...buy for any AGi hero!!!!! :D

Executioner's Hood
Stats: +20 Armor/45 Attack dmg.
Use: Primarily DPS heroes.
Summery: This is a nice replacement or secondary option over the Orb of Battle if you had your heart set on the Orb of Skill. Prepare to have extra cash though, as this item is more money than the Orb, but you gain some Armor and more Attack dmg. This would go very nicely with the Warrior's Rings, with the added the extra Armor.

Circlet of Mana
Stats: +300% mana regen.
Use: Ideal for INt heroes or ones needing mana regen.
Summery: I personally prefer this guy over the Orb, just becuase I'm so fond of the Skill Orb, plus these two go excellent together. Remember what I said though, if your hero doesn't use too much mana and has alot of INt, these are not needed. At any rate, both are good and have their advantages, the choice is yours.

I'll be adding Ultimates later, I'm tired, so thats it for now. 8)
Last edited by A_New_Dawn on February 13th, 2008, 11:01 pm, edited 10 times in total.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

Re: Items! a general overview

#2 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

I really think you should completely finish a guide before posting it on the forums, but that's just me.
Backwards E's are badass

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#3 Post by A_New_Dawn »

This post is huge, so it takes time, I also wanted to see how it looked as I progressed, so ease off please.

And it is just you, thankfully.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#4 Post by Reaper »

No, I completely agree.

Besides that, what is the point of this thread? As in, what constitutes it being in the general suggestions of game development?
[Reaper]

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by A_New_Dawn »

:roll:

Someone shoot me.

God forgive me.
Last edited by A_New_Dawn on February 13th, 2008, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#6 Post by Soulbourne »

From my own personal point of view, Dawn here is the victim of the Trolls...
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#7 Post by jamn455 »

We have an item guide on the wiki page I believe.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#8 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Yes, but it only lists the stats, I'm hoping to provide a quick understandable reference for newbie players who don't know what the heck to buy their heroes. Hoping this will make some sense.

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#9 Post by Reaper »

Soulbourne wrote:From my own personal point of view, Dawn here is the victim of the Trolls...
If you are referring to me you have a bad definition of a troll.
Personally I'm trying to improve the quality of these forums, which includes some wtf's pointed at bad threads/meaningless posts.

Aside from this, this item list doesn't have the level stats, is incomplete, and is poorly formatted.
Things like this (actually things that aren't flawed) are what we have a wiki for. I'm not saying this can't be improved, but it is redundant to the wiki list and new players should go there for specifics on items anyways.
[Reaper]

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#10 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Reaper777 wrote:
Soulbourne wrote:From my own personal point of view, Dawn here is the victim of the Trolls...
If you are referring to me you have a bad definition of a troll.
Personally I'm trying to improve the quality of these forums, which includes some wtf's pointed at bad threads/meaningless posts.

Aside from this, this item list doesn't have the level stats, is incomplete, and is poorly formatted.
Things like this (actually things that aren't flawed) are what we have a wiki for. I'm not saying this can't be improved, but it is redundant to the wiki list and new players should go there for specifics on items anyways.
Yes hes refering to you, and if your conserned with "useless meaningless" posts maybe you should start with your own. Your first post was completely pointless. It in no way was trying to make the forums better. You only criticized, which is NOT constructive at all.

Stats increase is meaingless to me, and its my post so I'm not going to add it. Duh its incomplete so you shouldn't even talk until its done. :roll:
The "thing" on wiki only states the item stats, it doesn't tell how or which is good for what hero, which in my opinion would help out newbs alot more than just telling them the friken stats.

A GENERAL OVERVIEW, read the stupid title for goodness!!! please, how many times to I have to spell it out??!!! this means it goes over the basics, not every little detail like your suggesting. You are more than welcome to make your own post about items, but if all you can do is flame and act like a whining troll, then please shut up.

Sorry if I'm getting pissed, your just not helping me write better posts, your only flaming, if you wan't to help SUGGEST stuff ok? ty.

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#11 Post by Reaper »

A_New_Dawn wrote:Yes hes refering to you, and if your conserned with "useless meaningless" posts maybe you should start with your own. Your first post was completely pointless. It in no way was trying to make the forums better. You only criticized, which is NOT constructive at all.
Actually I think it was pretty valid that the forum you posted it under was not the best place for it. I was also agreeing with angrybear about how you should complete it before posting it. By posting it, you are asking for input from other people, which will include necessary critisizms. Explain to me how having threads in their appropriate forums isn't trying to make the boards better.

A_New_Dawn wrote:Stats increase is meaingless to me, and its my post so I'm not going to add it. Duh its incomplete so you shouldn't even talk until its done.
The "thing" on wiki only states the item stats, it doesn't tell how or which is good for what hero, which in my opinion would help out newbs alot more than just telling them the friken stats.
As you mentioned in a previous post, you said this was meant to help new players. New players don't give a shit about your opinion, and yes, they would want to know what the items do at level 1, when they can actually buy them. Any noob with half a brain can figure out that a strength based hero should get more strength, you aren't adding anything special.

A_New_Dawn wrote:A GENERAL OVERVIEW, read the stupid title for goodness!!! please, how many times to I have to spell it out??!!! this means it goes over the basics, not every little detail like your suggesting. You are more than welcome to make your own post about items, but if all you can do is flame and act like a whining troll, then please shut up.
Please, quote where I said I wanted every little detail. I only suggested having level stats is important (which is in the wiki already). As for being a troll, I am not; I communicate civilly and without making personal attacks. I would love to flame you, but I'm restraining myself for now.

A_New_Dawn wrote:Sorry if I'm getting pissed, your just not helping me write better posts, your only flaming, if you wan't to help SUGGEST stuff ok? ty.
You want my suggestion? Quit making useless threads, you've proven over the course of your time here that you can't get better at posting. And it wouldn't hurt to proofread your posts to sound like less of a child.
[Reaper]

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#12 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Reaper777 wrote:
A_New_Dawn wrote:Yes hes refering to you, and if your conserned with "useless meaningless" posts maybe you should start with your own. Your first post was completely pointless. It in no way was trying to make the forums better. You only criticized, which is NOT constructive at all.
Actually I think it was pretty valid that the forum you posted it under was not the best place for it. I was also agreeing with angrybear about how you should complete it before posting it. By posting it, you are asking for input from other people, which will include necessary critisizms. Explain to me how having threads in their appropriate forums isn't trying to make the boards better.

Wrong, by posting it I'm saying "this is what I have done so far, I didn't make this thread for you or other good players, I made it for newbs. I'm asking reasonable suggestions not flaming critiszms. If your posts only flame, then they're not appropriate, they're pointless.
A_New_Dawn wrote:Stats increase is meaingless to me, and its my post so I'm not going to add it. Duh its incomplete so you shouldn't even talk until its done.
As you mentioned in a previous post, you said this was meant to help new players. New players don't give a shit about your opinion, and yes, they would want to know what the items do at level 1, when they can actually buy them. Any noob with half a brain can figure out that a strength based hero should get more strength, you aren't adding anything special.

it is mean't as a rough example of what items go well with what heroes. I'll probably add more "details" later, but on my time and when I'm ready ok? ty. Remember, its MY POST. What your saying is partially true, but certain heroes are different in the sense that they really don't follow their main attribute. I assume you don't go AGi for shammy right? most good players go STr and Attack. Also Nephilium, hes AGi, I go mainly INt and some STr. The only AGi item I ever get him is Skill Orb. And yes, to some extent new players go give a care. They wan't to play well so they do what the good players tell them, or suggest them.
A_New_Dawn wrote:A GENERAL OVERVIEW, read the stupid title for goodness!!! please, how many times to I have to spell it out??!!! this means it goes over the basics, not every little detail like your suggesting. You are more than welcome to make your own post about items, but if all you can do is flame and act like a whining troll, then please shut up.
Please, quote where I said I wanted every little detail. I only suggested having level stats is important (which is in the wiki already). As for being a troll, I am not; I communicate civilly and without making personal attacks. I would love to flame you, but I'm restraining myself for now.

Granted, you didn't, but you said, it was poorly formatted, incomplete and something along the lines of vague or broad. Its suppose to be like that, the title is they're for a reason. I might add pricing later, but for now, not.
A_New_Dawn wrote:Sorry if I'm getting pissed, your just not helping me write better posts, your only flaming, if you wan't to help SUGGEST stuff ok? ty.
You want my suggestion? Quit making useless threads, you've proven over the course of your time here that you can't get better at posting. And it wouldn't hurt to proofread your posts to sound like less of a child.
This is ALL subjective, but I'll answer it anyway. It isn't useless, its only purpose was to be a quick, easy guildline on why certain items are better for certain heroes. I gave a quick summery on what and why they're good, so I more than fullfilled my orinigal intent.

Bottem line, this thread was nvr mean't to be large, complex, or take alot of time, hence the title, "A general guidline". Its only purpose is a quick reference of help, nothing more.

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#13 Post by Reaper »

In general it's a bad idea to type your responses inside another person's quote, for OBVIOUS reasons
A_New_Dawn wrote:I assume you don't go AGi for shammy right? most good players go STr and Attack.
This is so wrong.
A_New_Dawn wrote:And yes, to some extent new players go give a care. They wan't to play well so they do what the good players tell them, or suggest them.
You are not a good player.

I'm done trying to help you. You don't even bother to read what I say, as is apparent in your responses. You contradict yourself way more than a normal person would bother fathoming. You keep saying the same retarded shit that doesn't even qualify as a response to what I said. Go learn how to use a forum properly and maybe then your worthless ideas will be readable and can be 'flamed' properly. Until then shut the hell up.
[Reaper]

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#14 Post by A_New_Dawn »

If you don't like my post formatting simply don't reply to them. ty.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#15 Post by jamn455 »

When you start to play the majority of your games on battle.net with real people, go to the channel and play a game with elreth, myself, strychnyne, ion or reaper and get a few quick tips on how to really play the game. This guide is useless seeing that it could easily just have the comments added to the wiki page. Why don't you put the resell value at level 5 if you are going to put what they do, because the main point of the full sale of items is the fact that they are quick solutions to problems, and things that are easily expendable when you need some mercenaries to help siege a base or to hold off a siege coming your way. Playing the game completely item dependent is a poor strategy which is only feasible in comp or pub stomps.

Have a nice day sir,

Jamn455

P.S. - Don't talk shit to players that play the majority of their games against real players. Computer players are easily predictable and can be countered quite easily if you have half of a brain.
Line 'em up.
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#16 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Wow, you totally flew off the track, the only I mention I made of mass buying items was a 2player with my borther and I had a darn good reason for it...no obilisks. That was also a rare game (lasted over 2 hours) and I still didn't have all the slots full of items. Try reading the posts again, I do buy items for all the heroes I play, but not a full inventory of them, don't have the money to. While I don't play many internet games, I play Lans quiet often, and all my friends and are good players and could easily hold their ground on one of your "internet games".

P.S. read the WHOLE post please.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#17 Post by Soulbourne »

Can you direct your friends the the channel Clan EotA on US East, pubsmashes do get boring...
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#18 Post by jamn455 »

YOU ARE A DUMBASS!!!

READ THE WHOLE POST PLEASE. OVER AND OVER AGAIN,

THE COMMA RETURNS TO ATTACK EVERYONE.

Sorry for having to be so harsh, but I have no other choice at this point.
Line 'em up.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#19 Post by CryptLord1234 »

The format is. . .ok. Not great, not bad. I am also of the opinion that an overview or guide should be complete; general means 'lacking specifics' not 'lacking details of what should be the more defining parts of each section'.

You say that you don't have the money to buy all the items to fill your slots. That suggests that you would if you could, which brings up the argument that playing an EotA round based solely on items is not a very good strategy.

Also, you have no comparison group between you and the people who play online. If your friends play as item-centric as you do, chances are, your chances of winning are not great.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#20 Post by A_New_Dawn »

They all have a great chance online, I know them, you don't. I said I don't play item-centric, granted I do buy thems, but it depends on the legth of the game, status of the game, hero, and money I make. Also, not spending money on obilisks and generators means you have much higher chance of buying more items. We have played with obilisks and generators in the past, and still do sometimes, and know very well the "rules" of Eota. All of them. We still make repiars, rebuild, hire creeps/heroes. So
not sure why your making it sound like a Dota style game, it isn't. But since obilisks and generators are left out usually, items are naturally sought after more seriously, nothing wrong with that right? don't remember reading any rules about "How to play".

Mills
Addict
Addict

#21 Post by Mills »

There is an item section on the wiki page. If you find the need to help make an overview of items please help complete the item list there. Also if you find a need to discuss the different uses of items, I recently made a post about that elsewhere.