Tips for beginners

Post strategies and guides, and comment on those that others have written.

Moderator: Mills

Mills
Addict
Addict

Tips for beginners

#1 Post by Mills »

I know at least our old forum at drgpn had one of these threads, and the original modforge might of had one also. Anyways, the point of this thread is to clearly give some beginners tips on some of the more, non-obvious things in EotA.

Please refrain yourself from repeating what has already been said, and no one wants to read something like this:
xXxFF7CloudxXx wrote:666) Rofl i am 1337 gosu stay away from me or i will pwn you LOL
1) You start with one item in your inventory commonly refered to as a scroll. Depending on your literacy skill, reading this may present you some important information.

2) Workers can attack trees. As it turns out magical owls don't like taking residency up in shaky trees.

3) The Potato of the Apocalypse turns out to be rather hot. So hot that it resorts to the rules of the childish game known as 'Hot potato', imagine that. It would be in your best interests to get rid of it before it goes boom, resulting in your immediate death.

4) Listen to your team-mates, especially if they seem to know what they are doing. Also take a couple of minutes at the start to get used to your hero and the mechanics of the game.

5) For your general knowledge of EotA, the hotkeys for hero spells are always; Q, W, E, R, T and C. You shouldn't be running out into battle without even knowing you what your spells even do, let alone what their hotkeys are.

6) After you've read the spells and done practice with them, get to know your shops - their location and their goods. Items can easily help win a game.

7) Consumables, while not everyone's mug of ale, are an extremely handy resource. The goblin laboratory sells nets for those pesky flying units/heroes, termite jars which drastically lower building armour and zepplins, which are crazy flying balloon things.

8) Don't worry about lack of skill, play more and you'll build up knowledge on the map and your skill will soar with that knowledge, get to know your enemies and what they can do, then learn how to counter them!

9) Got questions? Visit the clan channel or come back to this thread and post it.

10) Artifacts are unique and one of a kind. Buying all [or even 3 or 4] of them will make you unpopular.

11) This may seem like a no-brainier but, when in doubt, Ask questions.

12) -s (Shows Spell Damage) If you read your spells, you'll see that some require calculation. This command does the calculating for you.

13) -o (Shows Obelisk Tower Locations) Neutral obelisk towers will be pinged as white, whereas controlled towers will be pinged with their team's color.

14) -u (Shows Unit Upgrades Purchases) Will list what current upgrades each team has bought from the upgrade center. (Currently disabled in 1.11)

15) -t (Shows Damaged Towers) The severity of the tower will be displayed by a different color ping. Red represents the most damaged towers whereas green will be the least damaged.

16) -h or Esc (Shows Hero Locations) Any hero visible on the minimap will be pinged. Sometimes the heroes are difficult to see because of the map size, this nicely fixes that problem.

17) Repairing towers will help your team in a pinch, although it may not seem like it. Its better to have a tower at 2500HP rather that 1250HP when the enemy is pushing a base, or an Obelisk.

18) There are 5 Mercenary Heroes which can be purchased at your team's tavern (location varies with map). Each hero costs 1200g and has a 10 minute interval before you can buy another one.

19) You can buy groups of mercenary units at any base. The higher upgraded the selected base is the more amount of mercenaries you will be able to purchase.

20) There are three different tiers of mercenaries. The first tier costs 350g and is great if you need units fast. The second tier is 500g and is better for more planned ahead purchases. The third and final tier costs 650g and are great for pushing due to their magic immunity.

21) Sometimes you need to take one for the team, your own funds may be the difference between victory and defeat.

22) Cancelling animations after spellcasting can help quite a bit for most heroes.

23) When chasing after a hero, attack the hero then move right away to make sure they stay in range. Attack again shortly after your attack cooldown is up then continue to move.

24) Most items can be resold for the same price you purchased them for, don't be afraid to sell them shortly after purchase if you need the gold.

P.S. Please post in some sort of bulleted format so I don't have to dismember your paragraphs.

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

Re: Tips for beginners

#2 Post by Pheonick »

How to begin:

:arrow: Listen to your team-mates, if they seem to know what they are doing, and take a couple of minutes at the start to get used to your hero and the mechanics of the game.
If anyone hassles you about your delay in the field, tell them to shut up and piss off, you're new to this. You shouldn't be running out into battle without even knowing you what your spells even do, let alone what their hotkeys are.

:!: For your general knowledge of EotA, the hotkeys for hero spells are always; Q, W, E, R, T and C. If you've already played the game, you should know that basic structure.

:arrow: After you've read the spells and done practice with them, get to know your shops - their location and their goods. Items can easily help win a game.

:idea: Consumables, while not everyone's mug of ale, are an extremely handy resource. The goblin laboratory sells nets for those pesky flying units/heroes, termite jars which drastically lower building armour and zepplins, which are crazy flying balloon things.

:arrow: Don't worry about lack of skill, play more and you'll build up knowledge on the map and your skill will soar with that knowledge, get to know your enemies and what they can do, then learn how to counter them!

:?: Any more questions? Visit the clan channel or come back to this thread and post it.

P.S. How do you like THEM bullet points? Huh?
Hate them -ToX
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#3 Post by Tehw00tz »

Artifacts are unique and one of a kind. Buying all [or even 3 or 4] of them will make you unpopular.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Nick.Scryer
Visitor
Visitor

#4 Post by Nick.Scryer »

This may seem like a no-brainier but, when in doubt, Ask questions. Generally if any EotA Clan members are in the game. They will be willing to help you out.

Questions show you have interest and that you are trying. Its hard to mock someone who is legitimately trying. :mrgreen:

:!: Also helpful Commands: :!:

-s ( Shows Spell Damage ) If you read your spells that require some calculation. This command does the calculating for you.
-o ( Shows Obelisk Tower Locations [ Stormwail Peak Only in 1.11 and above] {White Towers are Neutral, meaning that Obelisk is Free-game for anyone to control} )
-u ( Shows Unit Upgrades Purchases ) (Currently only Valid in EotA Games 1.10 and below)
-t ( Shows Any Friendly Building that is Damaged Past 50% { I Believe } ) Repairing these towers will help your team in a pinch, although it may not seem like it. Its better to have a tower at 2500HP rather that 1250HP when the enemy is pushing a base, or an Obelisk.

:twisted: Mercenary Heroes and Units: :twisted:

There are 5 Mercenary Heroes. They can be hired at the Taverns. (Locations Differ with Maps) and cost 1200g a Hero.
Also Mercenary Units: Cost 350g for The Basic Mercenaries ( Are the Basics and can be bought at a Level 1 Castle, Tree or Necropolis)
500g for the Moderately Powerful Mercenaries ( Purchases at Level 2 Keep, Tree or Necropolis)
650 for "Golem" Mercenaries These Mercenaries are the most powerful ones you can buy, {Besides the Heroes} (They can only be bought at a level 3 Castle, Tree, or Necropolis) They are Magic Immune.

:!: :!: Very Important :!: :!: Tower Cores :!: :!:
"Tower Cores" are what you get from controlling Obelisk Towers, { Stormwail Peak } Gloomite, { Gloomreap Mire } Moontear { Kedges Landing } ** Note Candleburg does not follow this system. Tower Cores are used to make 6 Types of Units to assist your armies in battle.
These Tower Cores are very useful, and their sole downfall is that they are not unlimited in supply. Tower Cores once they are used, cannot be destroyed to gain back. So you must be careful in their placement, and choice of unit you want produced. Keep in mind, once you build your towers, the enemy then has a chance to counter your unit.

Rank Codes:
Rank Codes are given at the end of the game. They are determined by how well you play, how many times you die, how many player heroes you kill. Etc. Although they do have a maximum amount of Experience that you can gain at your current "Level" which is also show to you at the end of the game. The Rank Codes are more for show than actually doing anything that effects the game. Although once you reach "Level 2" You no longer will have to upgrade your scroll. Once you hit "Level 3" I believe the annoying tips stop pinging up during your game-play.
Last edited by Nick.Scryer on August 16th, 2007, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#5 Post by LordSuzaku »

Sometimes you need to take one for the team, your own funds may be the difference between victory and defeat.
*Disclaimer*

LordSuzaku does not have complete control of his opinions as he is actually a pair of brothers.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#6 Post by Reaper »

Upon reaching level 4 (I think) the game will show you what the enemy hero choices are right before the spawning period.

Tower cores can actually be used for 6 army unique units plus the three goblin units (on all maps but candleburg I believe) for a total 9.

This isn't emphasized enough. One of the worst things I've seen a lot of lately that new/inexperienced players do is horde their money. Sitting there with 3k+ gold as one of your outposts is under siege is not a good idea. It's ok to purchase units from your outposts. It's not a waste of money by any means, sometimes it is better to sacrifice a bit of your hero building $$$ to save an outpost (and quite possibly the game).
[Reaper]

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#7 Post by Dekar »

You can build even more spawn towers with Glooms murloc builder. :P

Especially the hydra should be noticed with its multiple hit chaos damage attack. ( And because i cant remember the others ... double murloc spawn and something with a good magic attack ? )
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#8 Post by Reaper »

I had no idea
[Reaper]

Ion
Communist

#9 Post by Ion »

That's probably the nicest way of ever putting anything Tox ; ) good show.
Ion.

randomd00d
Regular
Regular

#10 Post by randomd00d »

Ok, how bout these tips:

Animation Cancelling after spellcasting can help quite a bit for most heroes.

This is the act of manually moving the hero immediately after the effect of the spell occurs so you can get moving quicker.

The best example is the Collosus Earthquake thingee. He casts for a short time, and then the earth starts moving. You can move as soon as that happens. However, right after the earth moves he just stands there waving his arms around doing the Unga Bunga dance for another second or two.

The dread shaman's regen is another good example. If I am on the run, Ill cast Regen and immediately scoot! If I stand around for 1 or 2 seconds so that the enemy heroes can catch me and beat me up...it kinda defeats the purpose of the heal.

--------------------
Tip 2: When chasing an enemy hero, Shoot n Scoot.

Enemy hero is running past you. You do NOT just stand there shooting at it... you get off 2 or 3 shots and its outta range.

INSTEAD, take a shot and as soon as the missile/bolt/whatever comes out, chase after the enemy hero. Once your cooldown has been met, take another shot at em and repeat.
This way, you can get off more shots AND you stay closer for longer which might allow your nuke/disable/nasty-thing's cooldown to be ready in time.

It takes a bit of practice to get the timing down. At first you will hoze yourself by ALMOST getting off a shot and then cancelling it by moving. Thats bad. OR, you shoot and wait too long to shoot again, thus effectively hozing your attack rate quite a bit (but thats STILL better than standing there shooting).

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#11 Post by Reaper »

Good tips. I do these naturally but don't even realize it anymore. I wouldn't have even thought about putting them in.
[Reaper]

Furion
Resident
Resident

#12 Post by Furion »

:arrow: Map awareness:
Try to keep track of enemy heros and the progress on the lanes
you may want to know when there is a base in danger of either side, so you can teleport in time and organize the
defense/attack.

Or you may want to search for larger groups of spawns running into a base without enough hero support to damaage
the base, this can yield you a good xp advantage especially early in the game.

And last but not least you may be able to surprise some enemy hero off guard and score an extra hero kill.
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#13 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

You should note tower cores, energy, crystals, hero talents, differences to dota, etc.

Those are the important ones imo
I miss EotA :(

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#14 Post by jamn455 »

Cokemonkey11 wrote:You should note tower cores, energy, crystals, hero talents, differences to dota, etc.

You should note that the last post in this thread was from June. Main difference from DotA - EotA destroys your computers RAM.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

PredatoryKnight
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: PredatoryKnight

#15 Post by PredatoryKnight »

Heh nice,
But most people learn by playing, I think there are just three or four things people need to look for.
Understanding the buildings that the builder makes.
Understanding how to use the options in the Hero Alter and Town hall buildings
Understanding map specific rules and options.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY knowing that its way fun to make that generator that blows up and kills everything in a huge area of effect. as soon as you know that your good to go. Funnest thing to do in the game :D

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#16 Post by DarkNemesis »

jamn455 wrote:
Cokemonkey11 wrote:You should note tower cores, energy, crystals, hero talents, differences to dota, etc.

You should note that the last post in this thread was from June. Main difference from DotA - EotA destroys your computers RAM.
Honestly, Jamn, your acting like an ass. Stop trolling.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#17 Post by jamn455 »

DarkNemesis wrote:
jamn455 wrote:

Honestly, Jamn, your acting like an ass. Stop trolling.

WHOA WHOA WHOA.

That was a month and a half ago, and he was posting in a 5 month old topic. Most other forums would warn you for posting in a dead topic. So why don't you go fucking find another excuse to bitch at me. The RAM thing is completely true, and until your prove otherwise, I stand by it.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#18 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

who the fuck cares if the thread is old anyway?

It's stickied.
I miss EotA :(

Mills
Addict
Addict

#19 Post by Mills »

Cokemonkey11 wrote:who the fuck cares if the thread is old anyway?

It's stickied.
I care and I'm the moderator.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#20 Post by DarkNemesis »

ToXiK wrote:

It's stickied.
That doesn't mean you can abuse your power.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.

Mills
Addict
Addict

#21 Post by Mills »

DarkNemesis wrote:
ToXiK wrote:

It's stickied.
As far as I can tell I have not even used my 'power', let alone abuse it. I only stated that I cared about the revival of this thread and that I was also a moderator. Now if you would not mind, I would really appreciate it if you would stop posting in my section of the forums.

Likewise, it appears that jamn455 was pointing out how old this topic was and that it may be pointless to continue it as well as be kind enough to elaborate on the differences between EotA and DotA. If you (DarkNemsis) have a problem with jamn455 trying to help, all I can say is that both of you are horrible people.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#22 Post by DarkNemesis »

Help???

I don't have a problem with Jamn helping anyone. If only he were actually doing just that.

If you really had a problem with Coke "reviving" this thread then you would have already locked it long ago. After all, your the mod, right? :wink:

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#23 Post by Tehw00tz »

Just by that logic if anyone had a problem with you, you would've been banned a long time ago. Yet you're still here.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#24 Post by Storamin »

DarkNemesis wrote:
ToXiK wrote:

It's stickied.
Yes, yes it does young padawan, THIS IS EOOOTAA!

Mills
Addict
Addict

#25 Post by Mills »

DarkNemesis wrote:Help???

I don't have a problem with Jamn helping anyone. If only he were actually doing just that.

If you really had a problem with Coke "reviving" this thread then you would have already locked it long ago. After all, your the mod, right? :wink:
He's being more helpful than you are in my opinion. Now as I said before, stop posting in my section of the forums and stop breaking our forum guidelines.