Dread Shaman...

Post strategies and guides, and comment on those that others have written.

Moderator: Mills

Luftwaffles
Communist
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

Re: Dread Shaman...

#26 Post by Luftwaffles »

I'm not going to call it an outright bug, but I think Yak should look at Earth Totem and it's % chance to spawn an Earth Elemental. I spawn one a lot more then it says I should be. I very well could be just getting lucky but it's worth taking a peek at.
- Luftwaffles

aegir ravenking
Resident
Resident

#27 Post by aegir ravenking »

The games I have been playing him it seems that all the elementals spawn a lot, I would say at least 20% of the time. Probably more like 40%
Formerly known as kevin.mentor.
Darlocks and Psilons forever!

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#28 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

The elemental spawns are, at a minimum, fairly good currently. I would even argue in favor of a slight buff. Nothing like the first version though, that was too much.

The Earth totem is the one with the rock golem guy, right? Yes, I agree, that one does seem to spawn alot more often. This may be due to the fact that that particular totem is used more frequently? I know I personally use that totem more than any other one, goes insanely well with my heavy dmg + max expunge build. Too, of all the elementals, the golem is by far the most intimidating. With 2k hit points and 60 siege dmg, he's quite good at wiping out towers. That much said, the skill definitely does not need a nerf of any kind. And if you are going to tweak one area, then you need to buff another. My 2 cents.

America!

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#29 Post by Dekar »

Last time I played him, it was more like 60+%. When spamming totem I often ended up with 3 or more elementals.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

aegir ravenking
Resident
Resident

#30 Post by aegir ravenking »

I am wondering if maybe the spawn chance is based on the level of a skill, or maybe even the level of the shaman, early to mid game I rarely see any elementals, but then later-mid to late game, they popping all the time.

No, it isn't just because I forgot to skill binding. I know this last game I had I had to switch to leveling shared pain(too many 2v1's) and I hardly got any elementals till very late game.

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict

#31 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

I am wondering if maybe the spawn chance is based on the level of a skill, or maybe even the level of the shaman, early to mid game I rarely see any elementals, but then later-mid to late game, they popping all the time.
I think Kevin may be right. Thinking back, I seem to remember this happening as well. Though I wouldn't worry too much about it, the elementals are just right imo.

America!

kaj4t7
Wanderer
Wanderer

#32 Post by kaj4t7 »

Well the talent's % is based on level

So lvl one of the talent gives 5% per level

2 levels of the talent gives 10% per level

lvl 1: 5/10%
lvl2: 10/20%
lvl3: 15/30%
lvl4: 20:40%
lvl5: 25/50%
lvl6: 30/60%

So naturally you're going to see them later in the game when shaman levels up his totem more.

aegir ravenking
Resident
Resident

#33 Post by aegir ravenking »

Wow, ok, show of hands. Who else missed that little tidbit on the tooltip?

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict

#34 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

Guilty. :oops:

What tidbit?

America!

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#35 Post by Dekar »

The smoke cloud talent lists every level.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Lunargent
Regular
Regular
Battle.net name: Lunargent

#36 Post by Lunargent »

I guess I play a freaking mutant shaman then. I usually max Expunge and Mass Regen, with 1 point in totems for utility. I play a mostly creep denial build and go for the extra bounce, sometimes even TWO extra bounces combined with +damage gear and increased attack speed. Works amazingly well, can even hero kill by slowing people with Expunge, running ahead to drop a level 1 Earthbind totem and continuing to Expunge as needed.

And something I saw mentioned in passing, but not expanded on, is that Expunge deals damage directly to damage shields like Rune Shell (And I'm guessing the newer flavors of it as well). It's some pretty hefty damage too, easily knocking down rune shells.

Also, even 1 point in Shared Pain is great to spam. A lot of people won't actually check the level of Shared Pain cast on them, just looking for the icon instead. I've found even a level 1 cast of it will keep people away from me quite well.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#37 Post by Reaper »

I play the same way, although I get expunge and totems equally and buy skill points
[Reaper]

aegir ravenking
Resident
Resident

#38 Post by aegir ravenking »

My "normal" build is support based. Max mass regen and totems with one point expunge. For items a mana orb is very useful, maybe a sorcerers robe if I am rich. Crystal to at least one extra skill point, the totem summons, then whatever I feel like at the moment.

However all too often I run into hero problems and give up on totems for massing shared pain and all crystal into strength for smacking around enemies. In c7 this don't work too well with deathblows canceling my heal though.