Moderator: Mills

Somethinglikeme
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: SomethinglikeME

Scarab needs something...

#1 Post by Somethinglikeme »

Scarab is lacking imo...

Lifewave must have got tweaked? Smite is ridiculously heavy on mana (even with an orb), his ult is too short to be effective, and carapace (while good) is a passive. I am going to have to stop randoming, I have gotten that hero twice now...

Avoiding him like the plague until Darnyak can fix him. :/

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

Re: Scarab needs something...

#2 Post by CryptLord1234 »

He's not that bad. Life Wave is a rather strong heal, and when you get the talent in it, does a considerable amount of AoE damage at the end of it.

Smite is a little mana heavy, but that's nothing a clarity can't fix, really.

I agree with Carapace in that it needs an active ability to help him out, but I can't see how Apotheosis isn't really damn good. Full health and an DoT aura? Try saving it for when you get low on health. I think it's more for that than it is for damage.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#3 Post by Discombobulator »

Go smite + carapace, he won't be boring anymore.

Dump crystal into agility.

Dump gold into agi rings.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Somethinglikeme
Wanderer
Wanderer

#4 Post by Somethinglikeme »

Why would you put gold into agility and buy rings? Or are you playing with me?

I use to go Lifewave+Nightmare. Last game I went Nightmare+Carapace and found him to be dreadfully boring (and weak). Though I practically indestructible.

I have found putting crystal into dmg and going a hyprid tank+seiger works fairly well, even better when ult comes around. The attack rings are helpfull in that regard. Still, he needs something.
does a considerable amount of AoE damage at the end of it.
I dont know when was the last time you checked the numbers, but I was lol'd to death at the results. Plus not to mention the ridiculous amount of crystal I had to dump into that talent.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by CryptLord1234 »

He did reduce it as of the latest version, but (it used to be, anyway) ridiculous if you went Nightmare/Life Wave / Smite and stacked int. Huge mana pool, quick regen, large amounts of damage.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#6 Post by Reaper »

Yeah he's not really that great anymore. Lifewave does negligible damage until you get to ~40. Nightmare is still pretty good, as is smite, but he's really more of an annoyance than anything.
[Reaper]

Somethinglikeme
Wanderer
Wanderer

#7 Post by Somethinglikeme »

Yeah he's not really that great anymore. Lifewave does negligible damage until you get to ~40. Nightmare is still pretty good, as is smite, but he's really more of an annoyance than anything.
Yes, all valid points. Especially with Lifewave, since most games seen to end or slow around lvl 30.

I am still wondering why you would stack agility though? Could someone fill me in?
Huge mana pool, quick regen, large amounts of damage.
This sounds like 90% of int heroes. But they haven't been nerfed to hell. You could argue the str-based stats, but so what, really? Your missing out on much higher agility gains by int heroes, so its a matter of perpective. Str=HP, HP regen over Agi=MS,AS, Armor.

And again, you're forgeting Smite. There is no way you're going to have a huge mana pool when smacking smite around. I've watched the penality on mana, and it ranges from 70-350, sometimes more. That is also with the talent fully upgraded. Plus, Smite is a huge bitch at times. I can't count the times I almost got a hero kill...It is so random its ridiculous.

And Reaper's thoughts really should be taken into account. Scarab needs some attention.

How about resetting the old values, and changing the modifier to str on lifewave? Either that or tweak smite. Preferably both. Something needs to be done. I am growing tired of seeing my favorite heroes getting the nerf bat, while we still have Swash, Gargoyle, and Witch Doctor monsrosities running around.

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#8 Post by Reaper »

I'm pretty sure the talent doesn't reduce mana cost, it increases damage.
[Reaper]

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by DarnYak »

Reaper wrote:I'm pretty sure the talent doesn't reduce mana cost, it increases damage.
Nope, mana.

I intend to upgrade shell to be an active/passive. On top of that I want to do something with his inniate. Not sure how much else I want to tweak him besides that (maybe make nightmare more themish)

DarnYak

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#10 Post by Reaper »

He needs to be fun
[Reaper]

Lunargent
Regular
Regular
Battle.net name: Lunargent

#11 Post by Lunargent »

I suggest a re-skinned Stampede. Except instead of stupid thunderlizards, it would be My Little Ponies.

Awesome, right?

Somethinglikeme
Wanderer
Wanderer

#12 Post by Somethinglikeme »

He needs to be fun
+1
Awesome, right?

SuIIy
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Sully24

#13 Post by SuIIy »

I now this is a REALLY old thread, but I'd really like to comment on Scarab, as I think his skills really need some working.

Heal (cant remember the name)
This is a strong skill, but the dmg portion of it (cost of crystal) is basically worthless.

Smite
Smite is...weak and hugely iffy. It CAN deal large dmg, but the cost of mana even with the added talents is stupidly high. The dmg also various alot, which makes playing him frustrating at times.

Carapace
Nice 1-point tanking skill, but...useless beyond that

Apotheosis
Meh, this skill reminds me of TC's ultimate, not a strong ultimate in terms of plausibility.

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Sparda963

#14 Post by Sparda963 »

SuIIy wrote:I now this is a REALLY old thread, but I'd really like to comment on Scarab, as I think his skills really need some working.

Heal (cant remember the name)
This is a strong skill, but the dmg portion of it (cost of crystal) is basically worthless.
You are totally wrong here, the heal is amazing in of itself if you use it right. the dmg is incredibly strong if you know how to use it correctly. it requires a bit of skill to aim so it hits the right spot, but i have used it in the past and done some serious dmg with it. even still, its a heal that blows shit up!!!
SuIIy wrote:Smite
Smite is...weak and hugely iffy. It CAN deal large dmg, but the cost of mana even with the added talents is stupidly high. The dmg also various alot, which makes playing him frustrating at times.
smite is not a spam and win skill. you have to use it in the right situations and have the right build for it to work correctly.
SuIIy wrote:Carapace
Nice 1-point tanking skill, but...useless beyond that
very usefull if you go with a tanking build. carapace/nightmare = uber creep controll and dmg.
SuIIy wrote:Apotheosis
Meh, this skill reminds me of TC's ultimate, not a strong ultimate in terms of plausibility.
in a good creep push this is amazing. if you use it when with a group of heros in a push or defence, its uber as shit. again, you just have to use it right.
It's not rape if you yell surprise!

SuIIy
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Sully24

#15 Post by SuIIy »

You are totally wrong here, the heal is amazing in of itself if you use it right.
Re-read what I said. I never criticized the heal, but the dmg portion of it, especially when added with the ridiculous cost of crystal to upgrade it. And I'm not really wrong, I did a solo game to test the numbers, and they are pretty pathetic. I'll be more than happy to provide stat/dmg gains per level to back my arguments up.
the dmg is incredibly strong if you know how to use it correctly. it requires a bit of skill to aim so it hits the right spot, but i have used it in the past and done some serious dmg with it. even still, its a heal that blows shit up!!!
This leads my to believe you have not played Scarab in a long time, as this is totally overblown.
smite is not a spam and win skill. you have to use it in the right situations and have the right build for it to work correctly.
Heavy Int/Evoc build. Pretty basic. And considering the dmg is so varied, the right situations are then interchangeable with "lucky shots"....?
in a good creep push this is amazing. if you use it when with a group of heros in a push or defence, its uber as shit. again, you just have to use it right.
I'll concede somewhat here, as sieges are situational by themselves.
very usefull if you go with a tanking build. carapace/nightmare = uber creep controll and dmg.
1000 gold would would completely change this....and save all those precious skill points....:(