Clockwerk Goblins

Raise concerns about balance.

Moderator: Mills

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

Clockwerk Goblins

#1 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Might've been a thread about these previously, and if so, my apologies. If there is, it's ridiculously old. Anyway:

These things are ridiculous. I've been in a game with them recently, in which we all ended up running 'cause nothing else could be done. Let's take a look at this:

-Heavy Armor: Their only weakness is magic.
-Magic Immunity: There goes their only weakness.
-More health than all melee mobs except the Polar Furbolg. (Taken from wiki)
-More damage than all melee mobs. (Also taken from wiki)
-Spawn two per spawn wave. That means 6 of these things if the town hall has nothing but these spawn towers, which is about the number of normal Footmen.

How is it not worth spamming these things to high heaven? There doesn't seem to be much of any kind of counter, other than more Clockwerks, and 1/3 of the wave can't even touch them. If you guys have any strategies to kill massive amounts of them, please do tell.

Otherwise, a couple suggestions to balance them. I'm not saying all of these, just any one of them:

-Resistant Skin in place of Magic Immunity: 50% magic immunity instead of 100% magic immunity would make most heroes a good deal more effective against them, and the entire opposing wave would be able to hit them,without removing the magic resistance entirely.

-1 per wave: Brings spam of these things down to a reliable level, but I'll admit it seems kinda counter-intuitive.

-Reduce attack/HP: The fact that two of these come up over one means that you're getting two super-melee units, which screw over any race but the United Creeps. Reducing their attack power or HP to reflect the fact that two of them are spawning would also be good.

Not that I expect this out of any of you, but any comments of 'l2p' or "you suck" will be ignored.
Last edited by CryptLord1234 on October 11th, 2009, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

Re: Clockwerk Goblins

#2 Post by Discombobulator »

There's something you're not taking into account and it clouds your judgement.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Luftwaffles
Communist
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#3 Post by Luftwaffles »

Mass Werks is great.

Catas usually do a good job of hacking away at them.
- Luftwaffles

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#4 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Luftwaffles wrote:Catas usually do a good job of hacking away at them.
Really? I saw our catapults, with an equal number of spawn towers, get roflstomped by these things. The goblins ate up the meatshield in front of them and then just surrounded and killed the catas.

I guess my biggest problem with these things is really the fact that you're a glorified creep when you fight them. I mean, yeah, they're spawn towers and yeah, they're supposed to be better than the average mob, but every other spawn tower can be countered by a hero; these are immune to most attempts any hero would make to kill them, except sitting there and auto-attacking.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.