How do I find a game?

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
oldmandennis
Wanderer
Wanderer
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)

How do I find a game?

#1 Post by oldmandennis »

How can I find a game? I used to like EotA, but now I can never find a game with all the DotA spam. I've tried hosting but nobody joins :(

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Re: How do I find a game?

#2 Post by Perhaps »

First and most important question, do you even know that you can host? (By ability to host, that is players being able to join)

Now assuming you can host... Stating the obvious and probably already known, but just in case. I would of course suggest getting banlist and the "beta" patch (that gives autorefresh).

As retarded as it may sound, you want a "good" game name to hook people in. With as much as I've experimented with game names for various maps and various game names, game names do matter. For EotA, the game name that has worked best for me so far is "EotA! Sugar free AoS!"

Now if you can find a valid reason to get a "z" in the game name, go for it, I've found on BOTH Starcraft and Warcraft III that game names with 'z's in them have higher join frequencies, such as "Rabbitz vs Sheepz," "Ultimate Duelerz," etc. 'x' sometimes applies to this such as "Final Fantasy Tactix."

oldmandennis
Wanderer
Wanderer

#3 Post by oldmandennis »

Well I'm somewhat nubbish. I played a lot until about 2003 or so, and am now just starting again on the whole wc3 thing. I don't know what banlist or beta patch are. Is there any requirement for hosting other then having downloaded the map? It seems like I'm waiting for other players, but honestly it's been a while so I don't really know.

Is there a time or channel when people tend to gather? That'd probably be best, I'm new but I tend to (re)learn at least the basics pretty fast. I'd rather be told to "hold the south lane" in a good game then run rampant over a bunch of mouth breathers.

WC3Player
Visitor
Visitor

#4 Post by WC3Player »

oldmandennis wrote:Well I'm somewhat nubbish. I played a lot until about 2003 or so, and am now just starting again on the whole wc3 thing. I don't know what banlist or beta patch are. Is there any requirement for hosting other then having downloaded the map? It seems like I'm waiting for other players, but honestly it's been a while so I don't really know.

Is there a time or channel when people tend to gather? That'd probably be best, I'm new but I tend to (re)learn at least the basics pretty fast. I'd rather be told to "hold the south lane" in a good game then run rampant over a bunch of mouth breathers.
If noone(and I mean not a single person) is joining your game and you're behind a router, you probably need to port forward.

Find out your router name and the model for the router and click which one it is, then find "Warcraft 3" and click that.

If someone(anyone) manages to join your game, you do not need to port forward.

Just host a map and put a name like "Really fun map" or "Join fast", or "DotA -apem"(actually host the latest version of DotA though), if no one joins after a minute or so, you probably need to portforward.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by Perhaps »

Banlist 3.1 has autorefresh, which keeps your game on the list more than it would without. Well of course you can manually refresh, however that's tedious, also... If you want to refresh efficiently you'll want to only open and close 1-2 slots with the others closed, problem with this, it prevents a bulk/swarm join from happening. Autorefresh will give you the best of both worlds without the work of doing so. There are other autorefresh programs and tools, but I highly recommend Banlist 3.1 for it, since it's the most reliable for version change, as well as download location. It also comes with other nice features, like being able to banlist players, or being able to minimize and see how many people and who are in your game as well as talk in channels being minimized.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#6 Post by Soulbourne »

Back from my absence....and my typing skill has deteriorated....

I manually refresh, I choose the team with less players, close all but 3 slots, be ready to quickly open the others should they mass join, and refresh maybe every 10-20 seconds.

But the key problem is the ability to host, it can be trouble to set up...And I've hosted an old enfos under the banner of Dota -apem and had a half a full house before I hit cancel....impulsive joiners.
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#7 Post by Perhaps »

Oh yeah, I'd like to suggest doing a fake countdown of five or something before actually hitting start, that you count down in chat. Then do a two second pause before starting, this will help reduce the occurances of countdown leavers. It REALLY sucks waiting all that time to start over because of some Korean-ish twat.

On another note, so far Jamn455, AnAngryBearDoctor, and Storamin, are being at their most use for this thread so far. If you don't get that, it's that they're not posting.

Yeah just a newbie to the forums tip. Try not to take those three (said above) seriously, they're just lowly trolls who don't actually contribute anything. You'll probably find this out soon as they make a hopeless effort to defend theirselves with groundless flames.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

#8 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

If you want a channel to meet with other players I'd suggest going to channel Clan EotA.
But Perhaps probably didn't suggest that because he's been banned from there more times than necessary.

I'm honestly surprised that you haven't figured it out yet Perhaps.
Backwards E's are badass

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#9 Post by Perhaps »

I wouldn't suggest it simply because time waiting for people in the clan channel is time better spent hosting the game. Simple as this, everyone in the clan channel has the same game list as everyone else. If someone there is looking for a game of EotA, they'll find it.

Mentioning the whole ban thing is rather trivial. It only means I don't suck up and conform to broken ideals and bad additudes. I'm surprised you haven't figured it out yet. >_>

Storamin
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#10 Post by Storamin »

Perhaps wrote:On another note, so far Jamn455, AnAngryBearDoctor, and Storamin, are being at their most use for this thread so far. If you don't get that, it's that they're not posting.

edit: jamn covers it quite well...

i mean, it's real easy to copy all those internet phenomenons you seems to love... when you can't be original, imitate them.
Last edited by Storamin on August 2nd, 2008, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#11 Post by jamn455 »

Perhaps wrote:    Oh yeah, I'd like to suggest doing a fake countdown of five or something before actually hitting start, that you count down in chat. Then do a two second pause before starting, this will help reduce the occurances of countdown leavers. It REALLY sucks waiting all that time to start over because of some Korean-ish twat.

On another note, so far Jamn455, AnAngryBearDoctor, and Storamin, are being at their most use for this thread so far. If you don't get that, it's that they're not posting.

Yeah just a newbie to the forums tip. Try not to take those three (said above) seriously, they're just lowly trolls who don't actually contribute anything. You'll probably find this out soon as they make a hopeless effort to defend theirselves with groundless flames.

Well you are just absolutely fucking right, I do nothing to help this clan. Why don't you do something before you call me a troll that doesn't contribute when you are no better, flooding these forums with idiotic nonsense to think you are giving your wasted life some meaning. I am sick and tired of rick roll posts, dumb youtube videos, and the other stupid shit that you feel that you need to post on these forums when we don't give a shit what you think or what you want to contribute. Why don't you just stop acting like we feel that your opinion matters? I am not the only person who feels this, and I am sure that there are many other people who share my opinion of you.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#12 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

Perhaps wrote:Mentioning the whole ban thing is rather trivial. It only means I don't suck up and conform to broken ideals and bad additudes. I'm surprised you haven't figured it out yet. >_>
Perhaps: Asian girls make the most amazing sounds while being done anally
Perhaps has been banned by jamn455 (go away)
AngryBearDoctor: Thanks jamn
jamn455: jesus christ that guy is fucking weird

I can see how talking about doing Asian girls anally is non-conformist, but I doubt you've done research on the subject in any way.
Backwards E's are badass

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#13 Post by Perhaps »

Funny how people try to "proove a point," with selective quoting, or put otherwise taking it out of context.

It was simple as being flame unprovoked, and I simply said that. I wasn't about to A) 'yes massa' or B) feed that person the same old run in circles flame pie.

Do I do my obscure activities outside of the offtopic forum? Nope, I do not. I'd also like to say, how many people have I driven out with my behavior? Probably none, if any very miniscule compared to your numbers. Before and after I came across this community, I've seen people with bitter resentment towards clan eota, and I can easily pinpoint the sources.

This isn't just about me, and don't act like it is. An immediate example is the unnecessary flaming done in the Rune Shell thread.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#14 Post by jamn455 »

No, that flaming was necessary. Rune shell is not unbalanced, and it never has been. When you give me a good reason to prove such a thing, I will feel that you have a good opinion.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#15 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

I'm eagerly waiting to see how I took a quote about you talking about doing asian girls anally out of context.
Backwards E's are badass

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#16 Post by Tehw00tz »

Perhaps wrote:On another note, so far Jamn455, AnAngryBearDoctor, and Storamin, are being at their most use for this thread so far. If you don't get that, it's that they're not posting.

Yeah just a newbie to the forums tip. Try not to take those three (said above) seriously, they're just lowly trolls who don't actually contribute anything.
Perhaps wrote:It was simple as being flame unprovoked, and I simply said that. I wasn't about to A) 'yes massa' or B) feed that person the same old run in circles flame pie.
Perhaps wrote:they're just lowly trolls who don't actually contribute
Perhaps wrote:flame unprovoked
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#17 Post by Perhaps »

Must be an out of context contest.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#18 Post by Tehw00tz »

Perhaps wrote:Must be an out of context contest.
Yeah because using quotes to contradict your statements, which were made in this thread, is clear use of things that are out of context. Just leave.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#19 Post by Storamin »

AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:
Perhaps wrote:Mentioning the whole ban thing is rather trivial. It only means I don't suck up and conform to broken ideals and bad additudes. I'm surprised you haven't figured it out yet. >_>
Perhaps: Asian girls make the most amazing sounds while being done anally
Perhaps has been banned by jamn455 (go away)
AngryBearDoctor: Thanks jamn
jamn455: jesus christ that guy is fucking weird

I can see how talking about doing Asian girls anally is non-conformist, but I doubt you've done research on the subject in any way.

The funny party about that conversation is the the fact that Perhaps is probably 13, and still has years to go before he gets laid.

Emufarmers
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Emufarmers

#20 Post by Emufarmers »

I hate you all.

(Except for the thread starter, who seems nice enough. My apologies to him.)