Naming

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Naming

#1 Post by Perhaps »

So... I'm having trouble deciding names for stat points...

Option 1:
Strength = Life Force
Agility = Spirit Force
Intelligence = Mind Force

Option 2:
Strength = Life Force
Agility = Energy Force
Intelligence = Spirit Force

Option 3:
Strength = Life Force
Agility = Spirit Force
Intelligence = Energy Force

Which option do you think is best, and why?

Also, I'm a bit indecisive which to choose for resource names.

Gold = Resource or Materials?
Lumber = Level Points or Growth Points?
Food = (no known use yet)

Similar to above, which would be the best selection, and why?
Last edited by Perhaps on May 18th, 2008, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

Re: Naming

#2 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

Being original isn't always the best option.
Backwards E's are badass

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#3 Post by Perhaps »

It's not so much "originality" that I'm going for. I'm more than anything going for justification. For example, there's some radial fire ability, however in the balance I wish it to be Agility to recieve a certain bonus from, such as damage. It really wouldn't make too much sense that Agility, to boost such a thing.

Same goes for Gold, it doesn't make sense that you're buying gear from your own army. And well, Lumber, I'm using for raising skills, like EotA, except skill raising runs souly on that, you come with all skills.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Perhaps wrote:Same goes for Gold, it doesn't make sense that you're buying gear from your own army.
In EotA its called gold but my justification is its actually left over gear taken from fallen enemies, reforged or traded into useful stuff.

DarnYak

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by Perhaps »

DarnYak wrote:In EotA its called gold but my justification is its actually left over gear taken from fallen enemies, reforged or traded into useful stuff.
That is similar to my justification, and is why I want to name it Resource or Materials.

I'm considering removing gold bounty from army units and giving them a 100% drop table with an x±0 rate of what each unit is designed to be worth. Meaning you can collect from both your army and their army. Experience would still be from bounty.

Two replies, and still no suggestions. -_-

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#6 Post by Soulbourne »

Option 2

Materials/scraps

dunno bout lumber, maybe power gems or something that you have used to empower innate abilities...
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

#7 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

Agility makes no sense in stat gain anyway. Like being faster is going to increase your armor.
Backwards E's are badass

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by DarnYak »

AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:Agility makes no sense in stat gain anyway. Like being faster is going to increase your armor.
It allows you to react faster and use your armor more effectively.

DarnYak

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#9 Post by Perhaps »

On that logic, agility should give you evasion instead. A shield block would void out all slash damage as well as bring blunt damage to an uncomfortable feeling of shock. Sword Parry, same thing. And dodging needs no explination. Blocks, parrys, and dodges are misses.

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#10 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

Maybe you've never been in a fight or seen one, but there is a big difference between being punched square in the nose, and being tagged on the downswing after you dodge. When you make a dodging manuever, even if you don't cause them to miss totally, you hopefully deflect the brunt of the force away from you. This is why boxing someone unawares can generally result in a knockout, while if you are fighting an active defender there can be hundreds of lesser blows exchanged.

The whole thing is an abstraction anyway. You have a confusing mix of reality and fiction in your mindset. If someone is unable to react (low agility, does not block/dodge/parry evade damage) you really should be able to insta kill them with a real weapon. The concept of being hit many times and taking damage is only plausible if you believe blows can be partially blocked or partially evaded (and believe that this is going on for each hit), so agility makes perfect sense.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#11 Post by Reaper »

It's just a game; why does it need justification
[Reaper]

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#12 Post by Perhaps »

Because even though it's "fantasy" it tries to have a quasirealism. Which is why things like arrows have arc and not shoot straight, the chance to miss via higher elevation target, etc. You can't say EotA doesn't take realism into effect, look at items... You can ONLY have one item of each type specific (i.e. You can't wear a Sorcerer's Robe and Robe of Resistance at the same time). Even though realistically it should have "Inner Armor" type and "Outer Armor" type. Like silks under samurai armor and chain link under plate mail.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#13 Post by Reaper »

Perhaps wrote:You can't say EotA doesn't take realism into effect
What?

Perhaps you should've said "One can't say EotA doesn't take realism into effect"

Either way you fail
[Reaper]