EotA--memory leaks out the ass

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
Demongod86
Regular
Regular

EotA--memory leaks out the ass

#1 Post by Demongod86 »

Darnyak, I am running EotA from a p 2.4Ghz with 512 MB of RAM. At the end of one rather long game on Stormwail peak (at the end of which I had 2 FPS), I exited, and I got this warning from my computer:

Windows Virtual Memory Low.

With every spawn wave, I believe you eat up additional memory in the game due to memory leaks and such. May I ask that you look back over your code and make all your triggers modular, such that when they occur, they essentially wipe out so as to not take up more memory?

512 MB, Yak...I think there's a problem with the coding, rather than on the part of users and their computers.
/you SHUT THE FUCK UP, GODDAMMIT!

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#2 Post by mianmian »

From personal expirience, I've played very long games on all maps, in several different versions, and I've rarely had memory leaks, (certain exceptions, like Bane and Kedge/Gloom). In all honesty it was probably your host, I know some hosts the game just decides to die :p
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#3 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

No, there are definitely leaks in this version... More likely due to hero skills (creating dummy units or something). Play candelburg with -allhero on, and you won't last 20 minutes.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

May I ask that you look back over your code and make all your triggers modular, such that when they occur, they essentially wipe out so as to not take up more memory?
You make it sound like wc3 even allows one to keep track of this crap. Unfortunatly, it doesn't help map makers one bit, and seems to have been designed with the idea that maps would never become so large/complicated that cleaning up memory during a game would be an issue. Spending weeks trying to track down memory leaks has cuased me to want to give up wc3 map making completely more then once.

Yes, EotA has some memory leaks. They're generally minimal, but there are some rare ones that are extremely difficult to track down. I've gone over the spawn code numerous times without finding anything missing, but the leak from spawns is extreemly minimal (something like 4kb every minute) and i'm not sure its even possible to eliminate (it may even just be the replay data).

I'm sure there's some spell, or combination of spells, out there killing things. I've always asked people to post in the bug report forum to help me identify games where there's a problem in hopes of tracking them down. These things dont happen often enough for me to be able to track them down myself, short of spending months playing non stop to find a few games with memory leaks.

I must also add that i've definatly noticed a difference in memory leaks between 1.11 and 1.11c. This confuses me, as I didn't add anything new that should be causing any sort of leak. Candleburg seems to be especialy problematic. but I dont' think I even changed anything there. Not sure if this is a side effect of the map optimizers or not.

That said, even without memory leaks there is a mimum computer spec needed for EotA that's higher then standard WC3. You're 2.4ghz/512mb should be fine as long as you aren't running a ton of other crap at the same time (EotA is a giant memory hog even without leaks).

DarnYak

Something
Regular
Regular

#5 Post by Something »

I'll quickly note here. Stormwail Peak lags more in 1.11.

Oh yeah! Noticable. It in fact, drives me crazy.
Something.

AlienFromBeyond
Resident
Resident

#6 Post by AlienFromBeyond »

Something wrote:I'll quickly note here. Stormwail Peak lags more in 1.11.

Oh yeah! Noticable. It in fact, drives me crazy.
I had some crazy lag the two times I played 1.11, and both times had the UD, and the Lich and DH heroes. I think there may be a leak with one of them, as Kibi and company says it usually doesn't lag that bad.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by DarnYak »

Something wrote:I'll quickly note here. Stormwail Peak lags more in 1.11.
That's odd, between 1.10 and 1.11 there were some optimizations that should have sped things up if anything, and as far as I remember there wasn't anything at all added that should be causing general lag.

This of course, does not mean some ud skills may be causing excess lag. Geyser is a mess (apparently SetUnitFlyHeight takes absurd amounts of time for how simple it is), and some other spells are sorta bad, but that lag shouldn't continue past the end of its duration.

And just incase it isn't clear, I hate the lag/mem leaks as much as the rest of you, but I can only do so much. This isn't to say i've found everything, but finding this shit is neither easy nor fast.

DarnYak

Demongod86
Regular
Regular

#8 Post by Demongod86 »

Nope, it was Stormwail elf alliance vs. united creeps. We had rune knight, infiltrator, blazing priest, arcane archer, and the swashbuckler, while they had spider, AM, ancient of wind dude, fenris, and shadow hunter.

At the end, there was just a boatload of units but the game was going so crazy that I couldn't do anything cuz of the terrible framerate.

Storamin
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

Re: EotA--memory leaks out the ass

#9 Post by Storamin »

Demongod86 wrote:Darnyak, I am running EotA from a p 2.4Ghz with 512 MB of RAM. At the end of one rather long game on Stormwail peak (at the end of which I had 2 FPS), I exited, and I got this warning from my computer:

Windows Virtual Memory Low.

With every spawn wave, I believe you eat up additional memory in the game due to memory leaks and such. May I ask that you look back over your code and make all your triggers modular, such that when they occur, they essentially wipe out so as to not take up more memory?

512 MB, Yak...I think there's a problem with the coding, rather than on the part of users and their computers.
buy a computer not made in 2000? hell, my laptop from 2004 had 1gig of memory.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#10 Post by Dekar »

1) 1.11(c) compared to 1.10 takes FAR longer to exit the game.

2) Candleburg lagged so hard last time I played it, that the players had to leave. Impossible to play after some time. Didnt experienced such a lag on other maps.
Last edited by Dekar on June 26th, 2007, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by DarnYak »

Dekar wrote:1) 1.11(c) compared to 1.110 takes FAR longer to exit the game.

2) Candleburg lagged so hard last time I played it, that the players had to leave. Impossible to play after some time. Didnt experienced such a lag on other maps.
1.110 = 1.11a or 1.10?

Candleburg has some big issues, I just haven't found them yet. Not sure if their due to map specific code, or just the mass amounts of units/heroes gathered in one spot.

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#12 Post by Dekar »

1.10, thats what you get for rewriting your post :?

1) 1.11(c) compared to 1.10 takes FAR longer to exit the game.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#13 Post by mianmian »

I've never really noticed lag, except one game, with Grav+AM on Candle, thats it.

I played UD vs Elves, -allheroes, no lag, I play 4v4-5v5 candle, no lag, perfect framerate, so I dunno, these games are all UD Vs Elves, btw :p
-Lithium flower

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#14 Post by mianmian »

Double post, deal with it

Ok, so I did -allheroes on Candle... no problems, until 20mins exactly, then the game went from perfectly normal to total shit.

There were 2 instances of a tiny drop in frame rates, it was when DH polarization was on, or when AM dropped a Cloud over a lot of heroes :p

Hope that helps.
-Lithium flower

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by DarnYak »

mianmian wrote:Ok, so I did -allheroes on Candle... no problems, until 20mins exactly, then the game went from perfectly normal to total shit.
Just a random FYI related to this. I've spent a hour or two relooking over all the candleburg specific code, but I don't see anything that should be causing a memory leak on its own.

So I'm inclined to say some sequence of events is leading to frequent memory leaks (or catastrophic in some cases), such as you experienced. Don't know if its part of the AI code, or some combination of spells being used yet.

Still looking for causes.

DarnYak

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#16 Post by mianmian »

Ok, well on that note, it was UD Vs Creeps, incase that helps.
-Lithium flower

Demongod86
Regular
Regular

#17 Post by Demongod86 »

I think it's with the unit spawn triggers. My friend French_Canadian (have you played the tales of kaltazar maps?) had the same problem with ToK Boreal Conflict. This computer can definitely run EotA until we get to lategame points at which lag becomes unbearable. It's not map-specific. I think that bar some huge complex coding that the heroes take up relatively little memory. In enmity campaign, some heroes outright crashed the game or lagged it to horrid proportions but I don't find any hero spells in EotA that complex that they only lag it up when they cast it. It just seems a general issue leading me to believe that the general issue lag must come from general issue triggers--the spawns in general.

Please look into them.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by DarnYak »

Demongod86 wrote: This computer can definitely run EotA until we get to lategame points at which lag becomes unbearable. It's not map-specific.
Ok, I need to make this very clear. If were talking about very end game, as in 200 spawns crowding around the enemy castle trying to kill it, that has nothing to do with memory leaks. That's a pure CPU and graphical issues due to so many units being in a tiny space. WC3 isn't written to handle EotA's normal unit counts (around 250-300 in combat on average), and end game is just the worst (400ish units active I believe, with around 100 of them in one tiny corner of the map). Bad design on my part? Yes, but not a memory leak.
Demongod86 wrote: It just seems a general issue leading me to believe that the general issue lag must come from general issue triggers--the spawns in general.

Please look into them.
I've always been aware that spawn triggers are the most importnat triggers in terms of memory leaks. I've been over them multiple times on multiple occations, without finding anything new. I'm also planning to re-write them completely eventualy (for 1.12 most likely), just due to their generaly clunkiness. But i'm virtually certain there is no memory leaks in the spawning system. i've even run multiple tests (on previous versions, but it hasn't changed much or at all since then) letting eota just go for several hours and watching the memory, without finding anything significant.

DarnYak

Demongod86
Regular
Regular

#19 Post by Demongod86 »

That's strange, because at the end of a stormwail game, my 512 MB RAM comp said "virtual memory low".

What does that mean, aside from memory leaks?

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#20 Post by Tehw00tz »

Demongod86 wrote:That's strange, because at the end of a stormwail game, my 512 MB RAM comp said "virtual memory low".

What does that mean, aside from memory leaks?
Means your virtual memory is low.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#21 Post by jamn455 »

Id say it means get a new fucking computer cause I have 512 ram after my other gig burnt out and i never get virtual memory low after games.

Quit playing EotA at the fucking library.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#22 Post by Tehw00tz »

What our friend Jamn455 is trying to say is, when your using too many processes that eat up your RAM go start to use virtual memory.
Go here for more information.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Something
Regular
Regular

#23 Post by Something »

I actually don't have this problem. I have 512 SDRAM! Old RAM it is. My paging files are only set at 800MB (a little over default).

In some situations, I can understand it maybe happening, but I've never had it happen on EotA. Just slow down here and there, and then end game lag.

If it isn't consistent, then it could be the map leaking memory, if it IS consistent, then you need to optimize your computer, and maybe run less things if you aren't already doing that, while playing.

Restarting your computer might help, alongside with regularly resetting your war3 client. I have to reset my war3 client after every game, otherwise I regret it. I don't really have to reset my computer though.

As a minor suggestion, because I've had strange things like this before.. It MIGHT be settings in your client itself. I know for a time (until I reinstalled my OS), war3 would drop instantly down to less than 1 fps AFTER I turned off my sound in the menu. Weird, but it did.

You might consider looking more into your computer, the OS, and the war3. I know it's not something everyone wants to hear, but considering the fact I'm on a lesser computer, and I don't have the problems you're describing.. Well.. Something.
Something.

Demongod86
Regular
Regular

#24 Post by Demongod86 »

Resetting the client?

Shadow.M4L
Resident
Resident

#25 Post by Shadow.M4L »

close warcraft 3 and then open it again...