All Pick?

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.

Add cross-faction hero selection?

Yes
29%
No
58%
Other (explain)
5%
Don't Care
8%

Total votes: 38

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

All Pick?

#1 Post by DarnYak »

Now that 1.11 is finally out, i'm back to focusing on other crap besides UD. One thing requested that (unsuprisingly) sticks out is the few requests I've gotten to add ar/ap. Forgive me for using the DotA terms, its shorter ;P

Don't think i need to explain the pro's and cons too much, but just in case

Pros:
- More options = happier players, and we all know the 10 heroes per side isn't exaclty a large selection
- Similar, this brings in more teams/different hero interactoins

Cons:
- Goes against the story/lore of EotA. However, gameplay comes before either in importance
- Once added, it may become to the point where every game is ap/ar, which may or may not be desirable
- Certain skills won't easily be adapted to all races, and i don't think i'd plan to (Tact banner for instance)
- There won't be cross race hero combos
- Some buffs may get really weird/broken due to overlaps

DarnYak

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#2 Post by Tehw00tz »

I say no, because EotA has already changed enough in one version. It begins to stray away from the game I first played.

edit: If Fel Orcs were added I'd say it would be a different story.

edit 2: I change my vote to yes with the addition of all random
Last edited by Tehw00tz on June 19th, 2007, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#3 Post by Storamin »

I think it would be an interesting choice... have you thought of just using random for everyone but keeping it within that team 10 selectable heroes?

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#4 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

All Random exists. Choose "Random Hero" under Advanced Options. So, don't need to add that one, Yak :P

Shadow.M4L
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by Shadow.M4L »

how about this:

if one side is undead and one side is elven both sides can choose creep heros also.
Lets say as mercancary (stupid word :P )

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#6 Post by Hammel »

BGB, that is Team Random (tr), since you only get heroes of your faction...

I strongly say NO because of the balance... AM Infernal Binding + DW Holy Strike...? WTF... Hey, let's add TC echoing and Treant entangles...

Harpy Chaos Rift, BP Fire Storm, RK Grand Rune and Infil jumps in to Detonate... ~~ GG base...

Aero Hold, Treant Entangle, AA Entangle, Tact nets, Aero hold... -.-

Or you can get a team of all hero killers (Fenny, Harpy, Infil, Swashy, Neph?)... or all AoE nukers (DW, AC, Aero, Ember, someone)... all pushers (BP, Scarab, DS, Defiler, Tact?)

Get my point?

Better focus on adding Fel Orcs ;)

Shadow.M4L
Resident
Resident

#7 Post by Shadow.M4L »

thats paper work hammel, paper work!

I would say give it a try if it dont take to much time...

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by DarnYak »

Shadow.M4L wrote:I would say give it a try if it dont take to much time...
I should have included this in the initial post.

Time to add this feature would be only slightly more then the time to enable the multi paged hero selection to allow new Elf/Creep heroes, which will be getting added sooner or later.

DarnYak

AedharinSadai
Visitor
Visitor

Re: All Pick?

#9 Post by AedharinSadai »

I think the balance would suffer a lot. For example a AA sending an owl with right click after the enemy Infil would make it a lot harder for the Infil player, and I'm sure there are a lot of other things like that, but we could try it in a test vers.

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#10 Post by Pheonick »

It would probably make me vomit.

Enforced random commands would be interesting, especially in inhouses, but I highly dislike -ap.
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

AlienFromBeyond
Resident
Resident

#11 Post by AlienFromBeyond »

No to both. You want heroes of the other side, be on the other damn side.

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#12 Post by LordSuzaku »

No, there are individual factions for a reason. Why would you care what faction you were if you could pick whatever hero you wanted?
*Disclaimer*

LordSuzaku does not have complete control of his opinions as he is actually a pair of brothers.

Nick.Scryer
Visitor
Visitor

#13 Post by Nick.Scryer »

Agreed as seen below
LordSuzaku wrote:No, there are individual factions for a reason. Why would you care what faction you were if you could pick whatever hero you wanted?
AlienFromBeyond wrote:No to both. You want heroes of the other side, be on the other damn side.

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#14 Post by Storamin »

I think there should be all random. Or is that already in?

Elreth
Resident
Resident

#15 Post by Elreth »

The random thats in is for only your team. IE if your Elves, you get a random elf hero. As previously stated you just put on random hero in game options when youre hosting. Then when you get to the hero selection part, there arent any heroes to choose and it starts.

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#16 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

Let's not, and say we do with "-ap" in the game name.

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#17 Post by Pheonick »

I was just in favour of the own-team choice enforced -ar. Doesn't have the faction-breaking nubness, but makes the game a little bit more challenging by not being able to set-up your team content. Something good for inhouses.
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

All Pick?

#18 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

I'm sorry, but this game is balanced that you can just pick any selection of heros, being equal to any other set of heros. So win/loss via dice roll... YAY!

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#19 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

FutatsuNoOmoi wrote:I'm sorry, but this game is balanced that you can just pick any selection of heros, being equal to any other set of heros. So win/loss via dice roll... YAY!
Hah, I thought I was nice enough the second time, but here is the third time asking for clarification, in an entirely neutral fashion.

This is what I'm guessing you meant when you posted:
FutatsuNoOmoi wrote:I'm sorry, but this game is[n't] balanced [so] that you can just pick any selection of heros, (being) [and expect an] equal [match] to any other set of heros. So[, implementing ar would mean that a game's outcome would be equivalent to a ] win/loss via dice roll... YAY!
Unfortunately, I had to negate the main verb entirely to come up with this meaning, as well as add in an entire descriptive clause to the second "sentence" in order to make sense of it. So, I feel this interpretation is stretching it pretty far, and I was hoping you could spread some light on just exactly what meaning you intended to convey.

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

#20 Post by Kibiyama »

If that's what he meant, I don't think that would happen. And all-random is already in the game, I think. Random hero under advanced options.
98% of all people think Perhaps is a faggot. If you are in this 98%, put this in your sig.
Tehw00tz wrote:I miss my headset. This headset only covers two of my ears.

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#21 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

My English isn't perfect, but the only thing that I felt was missing in that is "isn't", but that's what happens when you don't proof read. ^_^ .v

"implementing ar would mean that a game's outcome would be equivalent to a" is redundant, because in context that already is in place. Over explaining too, is bad English. ^_^ .v

And yes, there is a random hero, for you and you only to decide if you want to pick something random. The feature so suiting for pub bashing.

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#22 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

Sorry I was mean. I am angry at other people on the forum. I read your other stuff and you are ok. I HAVE A LOT OF PENT-UP FORUM AGGRESSION.

Um, just so this reply is on topic: I can't understand the side that is against -ar. Maybe an -ar game would be less fair or have slight defects. Just don't seek out -ar games then. This (these) game mode(s) are very popular, and I think it would be nice if the community was more supportive of making the game more popular, rather than more unique. It really does not need any help (and certainly not this constant shepherding) in order to differentiate itself from other maps.

Any idea with a significant chance of improving EotA's popularity, its appeal to the common bnet gamer, without significantly impacting gameplay (for god's sake, it's just a hosting OPTION, and far more balanced/sensible than eota's capture mode, or say wtf mode from a certain other map) -- any option like this, I am firmly in favor of. Any people who oppose it, I think are either very shortsighted (not in the least considering longterm impact of popularity on the lifespan of the map), or very selfish (they just don't care if other people might enjoy the map, or an optional way to play the map, just because they think they personally might not care for it.)

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#23 Post by jamn455 »

Every hero gets a 5 seconds stun, and if this is used on an air unit, it deals 250 damage.

This is a joke.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#24 Post by Tehw00tz »

For a second I thought Demongod hacked your account.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#25 Post by LordSuzaku »

To add an -ar/-ap would compromise EotA's extremely small niche in bnet. It would expand it yes, but then we would have hordes of dim-witted DotA players flood in, and proceed to play the map like a DotA game. (And hopefully explode as in proposition 756) It is really a compromise of purity and originality (long-term) over mainstream appeal (short-term).

In terms of short-term appeal, Bnet has a pitiful attention span. EotA games may flare up for a few weeks and suddenly drop back to normal.
*Disclaimer*

LordSuzaku does not have complete control of his opinions as he is actually a pair of brothers.