Tried Warcraft 3 Reforged

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
Jouven
Resident
Resident
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Df1-Jouven

Tried Warcraft 3 Reforged

#1 Post by Jouven »

Disclaimer, I don't have reforged and for now I don't intend to buy it, keep reading and you will understand
Seems the release is a shit show, see https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/wa ... es.321818/

Blizzard has "removed" the original game, playing classic now involves playing reforged with "classic" graphics
The reforged installation downloads 27GB~ vs 1.25GB~ original installers, ROC+TFT for patch 1.26, and it has no "playable" option mid-download, full download is required to play
Installation size is 26GB~ vs 1.23GB~
Playing the game requires login into the battle.net program
EotA surprisingly for the most part works, played a 50 minutes games but the AI was winning by the end so I gave up, allied AI still sucks
The performance is about the same at least on my system, big battles seem smoother
Doesn't mess with the old installation, I can play on eurobattle.net no problem

Changes in general in warcraft 3:
The camera, at least the zoom values seem to changed a bit I usually do -zoom 2600 but now is farther than original game, -zoom 2400 seemed more like -2600 in the original game
The audio, Blizzard has added extra new sounds for some units, the game seems to be able to play more sounds at the same time, which makes the game extra noisy
The graphics are less bright in general (and there is no brightness setting) and units seems to float onto the terrain. Many graphical effects, like spells, has been improved or changed, the changes can be seen even with the non-reforged graphics, orc catapults have a new skin, one positive change here is an option that makes buildings and objects become transparent to see units that go behind them
UI, has some positive changes like mana bar for units and +exp floating text, though the UI has big empty zones with the 16:9 change

Bugs:
There is something going on with buildings in construction, they are not clickable, but they can be boxed, also some buildings in construction don't show up, al teast elder treant ultimate while it's building, but it shows up when it finishes building
Buildings with mana don't show the maximum, i.e. the unit upgrade building shows only the current mana i.e. 200/10000 now shows only 200
Buildings seem to die faster than in the original

Jouven
Resident
Resident

Re: Tried Warcraft 3 Reforged

#2 Post by Jouven »

After some more playing around:
If you click the options button before the game mode menu loads it won't load after exiting the option menu
The game uses insane amounts of memory, around 2GB just being on the main menu

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

I'm glad to hear its mostly playable. For one because I don't need to do anything (and watermelon has the "newest" version anyway and idk where he is). Second because they changed the EULA to transfer more IP rights of custom games to blizz, which i probably can't agree to at this point (and I don't know how it compares to the old version, haven't done that research yet). So unfortunately don't expect me (or Softmints most likely) to be dropping in even though we'd like to.

Hopefully with the increased population you guys will have a window where you can get actual player games in.

DarnYak

Executor
Regular
Regular
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Judacator

#4 Post by Executor »

I noticed some more changes such as faster health regen from the fountain and faster leveling up Edit: on second thought, I don't think it changed. I still beat the AI and I mostly play with all insane AI on Stormwail Peak or Goomreap Mire.
Last edited by Executor on February 7th, 2020, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aegir ravenking
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by aegir ravenking »

The Zeppelin "announcement" on candle is rather harsh. Screen goes nearly all orange for about 2 seconds.
Formerly known as kevin.mentor.
Darlocks and Psilons forever!

Jouven
Resident
Resident

#6 Post by Jouven »

Remember to download the latest "2GB" patch, seems they fixed some stuff like the colors-brightness
Yesterday I played another EotA game with the "human" race and they replaced many sounds from that race and elsewhere, I don't know if its because they use the elven units or what, then again they have replaced the ghoul sounds

Jouven
Resident
Resident

#7 Post by Jouven »

Today for the first time we tried multiplayer, and desyncs happened 5 seconds after the heroes spawned on the map, like, the heroes showed near the altars, everyone started moving, bam, Scheba desyncs, 2 seconds pass, I desync and Kevin is left alone in the game
Edit#1 Kevin and I did another test today, first playing against each and it didn't desync (we played 5 minutes), but a second test playing on the same team with an AI on the other team did desync
While we waited for Scheba, I played another game with AIs and bases can't be rebuilt, the circle-mark doesn't appear after destroying a base
The screen shaking effect from meteor swarm is way more pronounced, I would switch to another part of the map to not suffer it
Last edited by Jouven on February 9th, 2020, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Battle.net name: Dekar

#8 Post by Dekar »

It hurts me to see what ActivisionBlizzard did to Warcraft 3. :(
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer