Problem with bot

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
Tiggah
Wanderer
Wanderer
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Tiggah

Problem with bot

#1 Post by Tiggah »

Came upon Eota game hosted by yer bot. Never had a soul join besides mine. Tried it offline and got spanked by your computers :oops: all in all interestin game. Would be nice to play with some peoples. To whoever Jouven or something bot that host doesn't put it in the hosted games section often at all. I might see it pop up once every 10 minutes. I spent roughly 30min lookin for an actual person to host it and saw it pop up 3 times. Awfully hard for a bot game to get started if no one sees it if yea get me drift. Oh well props to the maker I can't imagine that disgusting web of code you got to run that elaborate mess. :shock:

Scheba
Regular
Regular
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Scheba

Re: Problem with bot

#2 Post by Scheba »

Tiggah wrote:I might see it pop up once every 10 minutes.
So I'm not the only one who can never see the autohosted eota games in the list of custum games. I thought it was me, but maybe there is something wrong with the bot.
Tiggah wrote:got spanked by your computers :oops:
EotA bots can be really hard. Setting them to higher difficulty levels in the game creation screen matters and gives them a lot of bonuses over human players (faster experience gain, reduced gold cost for items and mercenaries, increased crystal gain for killing human players) to offset their occasionally stupid behaviour that humans exploit to beat them.
Tiggah wrote:Would be nice to play with some peoples.
We try to meet regularly for a few games every Saturday and Sunday at 21:00 UTC (or an hour earlier in summer due to daylight savings time being in effect in the places where most of us live), so if you're interested in playing with a few other people and are free at that time, just come to channel "Clan EotA" on USEast where we meet up for games. The channel is public (non-clan members can enter it) and new players are always welcome!

Tiggah
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: Tiggah

#3 Post by Tiggah »

hmm had my suspicions. I really believe more people might give it a go if the game popped up more often. It should refresh to the rate it pops up atleast every full cycle before you have to hit refresh.

Jouven
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Df1-Jouven

#4 Post by Jouven »

Sorry for the delay answering back, but after doing some research, some trial and error, there isn't much I can't do about it, if anyone knows any magical settings for ghostbot... please reply.

The bot hosts on all the bnet servers, checking the log people does join but most them behave like bots and leave pretty fast, they misread Dota?, who knows...

derail mode ON

Things we could do to advertise EotA?:
1. Someone stand up and make a blog
2. stream/twitch?
3. Complete-fix the damn wiki already
4. I realized that the steam group is missing many information, like what's EotA about, the weekend schedule..., btw on the links section the youtube page* is missing (I can't edit it)
5. fix capture mode
6. fix rue's evo aura

*Btw if anyone wants permissions on youtube there is some kind of option to share the management of the youtube channel.

But to be honest I think we already got plenty off resources advertising EotA, the bot, the youtube page, the steam group, the facebook group (does that exist?, sorry I don't use facebook)... I think the problem is the moment in time, we aren't in the 2004~2007 anymore =S

derail mode OFF

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by DarnYak »

The bot not showing up on the game list isn't directly the bot's fault, its a result of other bots being better at manipulating the system and blizzard not giving a shit about fixing it. Basically if the bot sends bnet some specific non-standard values when its giving the game host info, it has a different priority compared to other values (normal, in particular). This is also somehow combined with the bot's ping to produce the order bnet will send games to other players. ENT's bots seem highly efficient at getting on the list, and someone has suggested they might be willing to host EotA if we ask.

ENT also has a way to host individual games, it might be preferably to use their bot to host weekend games and actually wait for people to join, as part of the problem is people will automatically leave an empty game unless they expect it to rapidly fill.

Unfortunately the overall problem is WC3 is basically dead at this point. EotA2 development is going well and is the only real hope, but sorry that's going to take a while until its public.
5. fix capture mode
6. fix rue's evo aura
You can't honestly believe that two rarely used features are behind eota's unpopularity. Rue's aura has been broken for years now and it was only recently realized because nobody even wanted to try it.

DarnYak

Executor
Regular
Regular
Battle.net name: Judacator

#6 Post by Executor »

I think Capture mode is an excellent idea, which I hope to see in Eota2. I also like the option to select from several maps within a single map. I wonder if that can be done in Starcraft 2.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by DarnYak »

SC2 can do something similar to wc3, but from what I saw it also better supports making a base mod that multiple maps can use separately.

DarnYak

Jouven
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Df1-Jouven

#8 Post by Jouven »

What Yak says it has been added recently I think, with the free arcade change.

I don't know if EotA can be ever ported to SC2 because of the cliff levels and maybe some other "lesser" stuff like:
1 Right now there are less unit models than war3, war3 has four races sc2 has three, you can add additional models but the maps have a really small size limit.
2 The map dimensions limit is dramatically smaller than war3, like the biggest map you can do on SC2 if half of EotA's map dimensions (I mean the complete map with the 5 maps inside, maybe it could be done separating the maps...).
3 SC2 editor "data editor" is a BIG PITA.

"Maybe" when blizzard releases the last expansion they will make it easier to use and add more stuff, but I am not even hoping for it.
The only good thing that sc2 has is that all the arcade maps, the custom maps, are free to play (you don't even have to buy the game).