Warcraft 4 and EotA - Will you make us happy?

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#26 Post by DarnYak »

mianmian wrote:So no mapping for SC2? Since I know you hate JASS, I guess well have to wait to see :P
Depends how much of a pain in the ass the language is.

DarnYak

Something
Regular
Regular

#27 Post by Something »

No matter the language, I just wish they offered a pre-build option!

Pre-build that map, so that you don't have to do it every time you load it. Yeah!

Reduced load times would be nice.

Lua would be a good thing to use, however, I understand that it's an interperetted language. They'd want to compile any language they have, because it'd be more efficient. It's possible of course to do it with any interpetted, but more work if they have to do it themselves.
Something.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#28 Post by DarnYak »

Something wrote:Lua would be a good thing to use, however, I understand that it's an interperetted language. They'd want to compile any language they have, because it'd be more efficient. It's possible of course to do it with any interpetted, but more work if they have to do it themselves.
Well, any language they write themselves is sure to be interpretted anyway. Lua at least compiles itself to the medium bytecode which is considerably faster then reparsing the text every execution (I honestly dont know which jass does), and is really fast enough for basicly anything an in game script needs to do.

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: Warcraft 4 and EotA - Will you make us happy?

#29 Post by Dekar »

The editor for StarCraft II will be very easy to use for new players to create their own custom maps and games. Furthermore, this editor will have many more scripting options available to players, to allow for even more player creativity in their maps beyond that seen in prior RTS titles such as Warcraft III.
http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.asp ... post219958

:D
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

#30 Post by Kibiyama »

That's rather ambiguous. Do they mean that the scripting language will be more... heh, "robust"... or that you will be able to script in different ways? JASS, Lua, Python even?

It would be nice if they supported multiple levels of control like that. I liked that wc3 was easily-accessible to total noobs, so they could at least put their ideas out there, but it seemed like it limited people who actually knew what they were doing.

Anyone have any idea if they are using managed C++ or even C#? My Google-fu is weak.
98% of all people think Perhaps is a faggot. If you are in this 98%, put this in your sig.
Tehw00tz wrote:I miss my headset. This headset only covers two of my ears.

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#31 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

SC2 map Q&A #2 is up!

It includes the following interesting information

" we found out the ability to allow heroes and units to gain experience is built into the Map Editor, though it will not likely be in single player or standard multiplayer. In addition, those units can also be toggled to have the ability to carry an inventory, which is also a characteristic needed in UMS maps such as DotA. "

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.asp ... post103825

Storamin
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#32 Post by Storamin »

jass really blows for the record.

i look a little view of it and started doing some things in it. i am not a programmer by any means, but this stuff is annoying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASS

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#33 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

Just bumping this, because I found the latest mapmaking sc2 update to be very encouraging.

http://www.battle.net/forums/thread.asp ... ost1207685

Meckross
Regular
Regular
Battle.net name: Meckross on all realms

#34 Post by Meckross »

There are many sc2 maps to come

Maybe just maybe there will be one based on eota ... be patient blue :)
This post contains graphic scenes of extreme violence and explicit language. Due to its adult nature I ask that anyone under the age of 18 please cancel the reading process immediatly !

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#35 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

Hm? I'm pretty fucking patient :). I think it's been 6 months or so since I last posted. Just thought that post might be of some interest to people here.

I'm confess I'm always curious whether Yak will regain the map creation fever in the future, or even better, sack up and apply to Blizzard the next time they have a job opening with his name all over it.

I liked what they had to say in that Q&A, even if it didn't completely answer what was the big question of this thread, whether they were going to use a scripting language derivative of JASS, or something else entirely. I think mentioning that they will support custom library functions indicates they moved in a more well-structured, possibly object-oriented direction. Regardless, they did make it apparent that much less scripting would be needed overall. I'm optimistic that their completely data driven approach, the focus on extensibility, interchangeability and transparency will really go a long way to addressing the worst aspects of wc3 map editing.

Meckross
Regular
Regular
Battle.net name: Meckross on all realms

#36 Post by Meckross »

Yak needs to comment on what he does and on what he doesnt, but there are always other wheels turning n working ya know.

You could let urself be seen on bnet more often ^^
This post contains graphic scenes of extreme violence and explicit language. Due to its adult nature I ask that anyone under the age of 18 please cancel the reading process immediatly !

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#37 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

Meckross wrote:Yak needs to comment on what he does and on what he doesnt, but there are always other wheels turning n working ya know.
I dunno what you are going on about here. I don't feel he NEEDS to comment on anything... and I didn't know there were any wheels turning and working at all, to be honest.

In other news, I am back around BNET lately. Been on East most every night this week. Channel seems to be all bots now, though I saw reaper hosting a game, and I said hi to Jamnz briefly. Mostly I've been around to play DOTA with some friends on vent though.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#38 Post by Reaper »

WELCOME BACK TO INTERNET
[Reaper]

Quadratic
Wanderer
Wanderer

#39 Post by Quadratic »

If WoW doesn't continue to eat up the Warcraft series, there'll be a Warcraft 4. But at least there's SC2.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

#40 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

With the way WoW is shredding through the lore there'll have to be a sequel, unless it's just Blizzard letting all the players kill all major characters so there's no possibility for another game.
Backwards E's are badass

Gilles
Visitor
Visitor

#41 Post by Gilles »

Well DarnYak you should be happy they are not using JASS, but some sort of C language.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#42 Post by Soulbourne »

Bumping this with a curiosity brought up on another forum...what are the chances of an Eota-like remake? On SC2...
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Battle.net name: Dekar

#43 Post by Dekar »

AFAIK there were some people who wanted to make an EotA for SC2.

Meckross from Europe - Pool wanted to help too? - and whoever wanted to help I think. I dont know how large that group was because I did not participate.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

EotA for SC2?

#44 Post by Kalrithus »

After finally playing through EotA: Exodus (which was by far the best siege defense type map I've ever played) I noticed that in the ending credits that there were zerg coming out of the portal! While I'm sure this was just for fun it got me wondering whether or not Yak might continue the storyline post Exodus for Starcraft 2 provided he likes the editor and feels like it. Anyways just thought I'd throw that out there :D