Game Days

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
Crazyedd
Regular
Regular
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: NagaSpawn

Game Days

#1 Post by Crazyedd »

I was thinking, seeing as this game has more of a cult following. We could arrange some 'game days', or something similar, where everybody arranges to play some EotA at a certain time.
It seems like we have to wait for the planets to allign for this game to be played online. Even when we do get around to playing the game, it's filled with people who are new to it, so they either; leave because they didn't read the scroll, or stay and get killed alot, causing the other team to get a huge advantage, eventually leading to a premature end to the game. :(

I have to admit, the reason this game has such a small following is because it's harsh on new-comers. Maybe there could be some kind of 'assist' system which can be selected before you pick a hero, which basically gives hints on how to do certain stuff.
so, say if you just started the game and asked for assistance; it will tell you to read the scroll, after doing what the scroll says it'll tell you what to do next (buy item, builder, mercenaries), if you get bulder it'll tell you about generators and spawns. etc.

Basically, little hints that sort of lead on to each other, especially ones on how to use crystals :D

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Game Days

#2 Post by DarnYak »

We've been trying to organize games on Sundays at 4pm EST, although I think we're trying Sat at 9pm this week (or better yet, both since word probably won't get around about Sat.). We should figure out a time that works better with the euro's though, because I know we have quite a few over there. Also in general, if anyone's wanted to make scheduled games, but is unable due to their time, speak up and provide some alternate times and we can try to get a consensus going.

As for newbie friendliness - much of that is already in the game. The problem is you can't force someone to read (well, you could, but they'd hate it and quit out of frustration anyway), plus reading too much takes away from playing the damn game. The only additional step that would be useful is to make a context sensitive help/tutorial that's also very intrusive, but at this point in EotA's life I don't feel that its a wise expenditure of my time.

DarnYak

Crazyedd
Regular
Regular
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: NagaSpawn

Re: Game Days

#3 Post by Crazyedd »

I live in England so the time difference is 5 hours (if it's midday here, it's roughly 7am EST).
The 4pm games would work quite well for me (it'd be 9pm here), but if I were to aim for the 9pm games (EST) i'd have to stay up till 2am XD
Either way doesn't bother me tbh, I'm a night owl anyways.

Plus, I can understand the problems with the tips thing, if you're not fully interested in playing this game to its fullest then you definitely don't want the game to hold you by the hand :roll:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it.