League of Legends and EotA

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

League of Legends and EotA

#1 Post by Warskull »

While League of Legends has guinsoo on board which is a bad thing, they seem to have one really good thing in their corner. They seem to be really interested in having strong mod tools, I've seen a map editor and an SDK mentioned. This could provide yak with a strong platform for his future work if he wishes to continue EotA. Something to keep an eye out for, a good map editor/SDK can do a lot for a game as evidenced by War3 and Half-life.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

Re: League of Legends and EotA

#2 Post by Discombobulator »

Odds are SC2 will come out before that.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Casval
Resident
Resident
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Casval

#3 Post by Casval »

Haha, what's wrong with Guinsoo?

I think, more importantly, Pendragon_ is working with them. He's a cool guy, very business and community oriented.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#4 Post by Discombobulator »

Casval wrote:Haha, what's wrong with Guinsoo?

I think, more importantly, Pendragon_ is working with them. He's a cool guy, very business and community oriented.
The game is different than others because one of the people involved is cool, very business and community oriented?

Where do I pre-order?
I'm this forum's MVP.

Casval
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by Casval »

lol

What I mean is, Pendragon_ is probably the one pushing for the editing features and stuff, and will be coordinating the community.

Mills
Addict
Addict

#6 Post by Mills »

Kotaku wrote:Assembling the Team
With exactly that goal in mind, Riot Games was formed in late 2006, with the intention to create League of Legends as its first product. Over the course of the past two years, the team has grown to include nearly 40 members spread across design, art, gameplay, engineering, platform engineering, and community.

Riot Games' team member credits include Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, World of Warcraft, Total Annihilation, Neverwinter Nights 2, Counter-Strike, Dungeon Siege, Sly Cooper, and Heroes of Might and Magic, but despite the high level of pedigree among the professionals, Merrill explains that the core development is still being driven by "the mod guys", including original Defense of the Ancients Allstars co-creator Steve "Guinsoo" Feak.

"The product vision is really being driven from the consumer point of view and is largely in the hands of Guinsoo and the mod guys; they have amazing ideas and are really talented guys."

Tom Cadwell himself worked extensively on the talent system on World of Warcraft, as well as heading up play balance for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne during his time with Blizzard.

"When I was working on War3 at Blizzard, a lot of us were fans of (Defense). It's been a lot of fun to work with Guinsoo and the guys to instill some additional game design principles into League of Legends."
If I remember correctly, the only thing Guinsoo had a problem with was triggering the spells and having them work. I would *hope* that with an actual team of people instead of a single individual person making the game that that problem would be solved.

Casval
Resident
Resident

#7 Post by Casval »

Well that, and balance =X
IceFrog has done more for DotA than Guinsoo though.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#8 Post by jamn455 »

Oh you are right, Icefrog did introduce the game to mainstream Warcraft 3 didn't he.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Casval
Resident
Resident

#9 Post by Casval »

Yeah, it was a byproduct of him being very conscious of the e-sports community. Guinsoo's DotA was basically one where a certain few heroes were imbalanced and everyone else was useless.

IceFrog really evened it out so that in today's version of DotA, the majority of heroes can conceivably be used for competitive play. He also did a lot of stuff like advance pub play with deny indicators and shorten the overall length of the game by adding siege creeps and tower bounties.

It's kind of annoying, though, sometimes. He has a tendency to make certain heroes temporarily imbalanced on purpose (see Rikimaru, Kunkka, Storm Spirit, Alchemist when released) in order to force shifts in gameplay style and evolve the gameplay in general.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#10 Post by Discombobulator »

ToXiK wrote:
Kotaku wrote:Assembling the Team
With exactly that goal in mind, Riot Games was formed in late 2006, with the intention to create League of Legends as its first product. Over the course of the past two years, the team has grown to include nearly 40 members spread across design, art, gameplay, engineering, platform engineering, and community.

Riot Games' team member credits include Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, World of Warcraft, Total Annihilation, Neverwinter Nights 2, Counter-Strike, Dungeon Siege, Sly Cooper, and Heroes of Might and Magic, but despite the high level of pedigree among the professionals, Merrill explains that the core development is still being driven by "the mod guys", including original Defense of the Ancients Allstars co-creator Steve "Guinsoo" Feak.

"The product vision is really being driven from the consumer point of view and is largely in the hands of Guinsoo and the mod guys; they have amazing ideas and are really talented guys."

Tom Cadwell himself worked extensively on the talent system on World of Warcraft, as well as heading up play balance for Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne during his time with Blizzard.

"When I was working on War3 at Blizzard, a lot of us were fans of (Defense). It's been a lot of fun to work with Guinsoo and the guys to instill some additional game design principles into League of Legends."
If I remember correctly, the only thing Guinsoo had a problem with was triggering the spells and having them work. I would *hope* that with an actual team of people instead of a single individual person making the game that that problem would be solved.
Tom Cadwell did nothing to balance Warcraft 3. Nothing.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#11 Post by Discombobulator »

Casval wrote:Yeah, it was a byproduct of him being very conscious of the e-sports community. Guinsoo's DotA was basically one where a certain few heroes were imbalanced and everyone else was useless.

IceFrog really evened it out so that in today's version of DotA, the majority of heroes can conceivably be used for competitive play. He also did a lot of stuff like advance pub play with deny indicators and shorten the overall length of the game by adding siege creeps and tower bounties.

It's kind of annoying, though, sometimes. He has a tendency to make certain heroes temporarily imbalanced on purpose (see Rikimaru, Kunkka, Storm Spirit, Alchemist when released) in order to force shifts in gameplay style and evolve the gameplay in general.
Pretty much every hero he introduces is overpowered.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Casval
Resident
Resident

#12 Post by Casval »

Discombobulator wrote:
Casval wrote:Yeah, it was a byproduct of him being very conscious of the e-sports community. Guinsoo's DotA was basically one where a certain few heroes were imbalanced and everyone else was useless.

Pretty much every hero he introduces is overpowered.
Well, everyone except for Windrunner =P
Anyway, he does it on purpose so people want to play the new hero.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#13 Post by Discombobulator »

I know, and it makes sense. Easier to learn the hero when he's a bit OP. On the other hand, also makes people want to learn to counter him.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Ion
Communist

#14 Post by Ion »

Guinsoo was just sort of a half-assed kinda guy when it came to thinking things through. He was also really into his own ideas and wasn't as open to suggestions.
Ion.

noworries
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: dr.noworrieS

#15 Post by noworries »

Ion wrote:Guinsoo was just sort of a half-assed kinda guy when it came to thinking things through. He was also really into his own ideas and wasn't as open to suggestions.
v5.36 loading screen(the ones guinsoo was making)

"It's FINALS WEEK for me, yet here I am making new versions. I don't have time to test it so if it doesn't work TOUGH SHIT. Put a post on the forum. wtf gg dood"

seems like a real nice guy dedicated to quality shit.

ionno, that was years ago, he probably matured.

Luftwaffles
Communist
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#16 Post by Luftwaffles »

There are always two sides to the story, but from personal experience (and being 14 at the time) he was not always the easiest person to try and talk to about his game. Granted he was a lot better then some of the guys who made ToB just in straight amicability. He's not a terrible person he's just Guinsoo. Play through a game of v5.36 as CK or CM and you'll know why (he was never that into fixing things, more like just telling everyone to deal with it).
- Luftwaffles

noworries
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: dr.noworrieS

#17 Post by noworries »

saw someone in one of the chat channels for cb named Warskull, is that you warskull?

Darkblade
Visitor
Visitor
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Darkblade[RotN]

#18 Post by Darkblade »

Discombobulator wrote:Odds are SC2 will come out before that.
I don't care what Blizzard says, I'm not expecting SC2 until Fall/Winter '10 at the earliest.

I also really don't see how EotA would transfer to SC2... so the point is moot.

Casval
Resident
Resident

#19 Post by Casval »

I think it'd be fucking great on SC2. It's an army game after all.

Darkblade
Visitor
Visitor
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Darkblade[RotN]

#20 Post by Darkblade »

With guns and tanks and lasers and aliens...

Sorry, my imagination doesn't stretch that far.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#21 Post by Discombobulator »

Darkblade wrote:With guns and tanks and lasers and aliens...

Sorry, my imagination doesn't stretch that far.
I'm sure everyone's sorry for you.
I'm this forum's MVP.

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#22 Post by mianmian »

I don't think Eota would be transfered directly, I mean Elves vs UD vs Creeps vs Forcs. I can see Yak mapping for SC2 maybe even making a AoS. But with all the new possibilities I'm sure he would try some new things for sure.

Also, I signed up for the LoL beta, wonder if I'll get in.
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower