One last feature...

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

One last feature...

#1 Post by DarnYak »

I had planned to stop adding new stuff and just finish up bugs/ai/balance, but this idea hit me for eota2, and why not add it to eota1 since it'll take me about an hour.

Perks! Obtained at levels 1, 30, and 60. Tenative list:

+600 gold with additional income (tbd)
+50% gold from hero kills
+30 crystal
+15 to all stats
+8 energy
+15% exp earned
+Movement speed (~10%)
*+Max mana
*+Mana regen
*+15% evoc damage
*+Teleportation speed/reduced cost

I'm aiming for 10 in total, less certain about the *'d ones.

DarnYak

watermelon
Yak's Secretary
Yak's Secretary
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: watermelon_1234

Re: One last feature...

#2 Post by watermelon »

I'm assuming players get to choose what perk they want. Are some perks one-shot while others last the rest of the game?

Level 60 seems too high for a reasonable game. I would aim for something about every 15ish levels.
Telportation one would definitely be nifty.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

I'm assuming players get to choose what perk they want. Are some perks one-shot while others last the rest of the game?
Yes, yes.
Level 60 seems too high for a reasonable game. I would aim for something about every 15ish levels.
I was originally going with 20, but I decided I only wanted 2 in an average game. Plus it has to do with level spacing (25-35 takes a while, so putting something at 30 is nice, and there's really nothing post 45, so 60 is at least something - I suppose i could bump it down to 50 though)

DarnYak

watermelon
Yak's Secretary
Yak's Secretary

#4 Post by watermelon »

Perhaps you should keep in mind what level the hero gets the perk at so that some one-off perks won't be so strong early game (ex: extra gold/crystal/stats/energy) while the perks that last the whole game won't be so useless if taken later (ex: +15% experience). Or you could limit what perks are available by the level.
But since this is mostly experimental, it may be too much of a hassle to care about/balance.

The straight movement speed bonus might not that be desirable for the EotA though, especially if used on the faster heroes like AA and AC.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by DarnYak »

Perhaps you should keep in mind what level the hero gets the perk at so that some one-off perks won't be so strong early game (ex: extra gold/crystal/stats/energy) while the perks that last the whole game won't be so useless if taken later (ex: +15% experience).
You don't think I took that into consideration already? ;P
The straight movement speed bonus might not that be desirable for the EotA though, especially if used on the faster heroes like AA and AC.
Yea, that's one I'm very iffy about but I'm curious what'll happen.

DarnYak

watermelon
Yak's Secretary
Yak's Secretary

#6 Post by watermelon »

I don't underestimate your reasoning Yak; I underestimate your memory. ;P

watermelon
Yak's Secretary
Yak's Secretary

#7 Post by watermelon »

Bumping this for a comment.
  • Out of all them, I would say the +15 stats has the most noticeable and helpful effect for any hero, especially early-game.
  • The evocation perk isn't too noticeable early-game but really useful later for evocation-based heroes.
  • 30 crystal is nice for heroes dependent on talents but it generally feels overshadowed by the other good perks.
  • Wealthy might be nice if one is going for a support build and decides to manage all team-based activities but +15 stats will pay off much faster.
  • Insight is kind of nice since you can get the other perks earlier though I'm not sure losing the early-game advantage is worth it. It actually has a noticeable effect when taken mid-game though its use is more diminished.
  • Engineer might be nice if gens had more of an impact (besides Replenish and Explosive). I don't think most people will take this though unless they feel extremely support-oriented.
  • Attunement has a nice effect but it doesn't really feel like it's enough on its own. Seems like it would only be useful on Storm as the other maps are smaller and don't need as much teleports.
  • Bounty Hunter feels too unreliable as you need to land the killing blow, so it's harder to coordinate with your teammates. Being a good hero killer will eventually make this perk useless with the diminishing gold.
  • More movespeed feels useless.
  • More mana regen feels even more useless, especially since it's so low. Wealthy greatly overshadows this since it gives enough gold to buy the mana helm, which has much better mana regen, or rely on clarity pots.

Scheba
Regular
Regular
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Scheba

#8 Post by Scheba »

watermelon wrote:•More movespeed feels useless.
I agree with your points except for this one. The movement speed increase seems to stack multiplicatively with any movement speed increase gained from points in Agility. Whether it's for hunting down heroes or running away, 10% can make the difference (unless you're fighting i mode bots, they have so much bonus Agility that they'll be faster than you anyways).

On a side note, I am going to be out of town over the weekend, so I'm unfortunately going to miss this week's scheduled games.

Jouven
Resident
Resident
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Df1-Jouven

#9 Post by Jouven »

I agree with most of water has said. But I'll give some opinion/insight too.

1. Move speed sucks, mostly because you can't guess how the effect works, description just says "increases movement speed", and because in practice having a "fast" melee hero, with no agility itemization, from "fast" it goes to..."fast" sigh
2. I never though of getting 30 crystals for the talents, some specific heroes do benefit from it, I'll have to do the math.
3. Engineer implies/forces expending 350gold (worker + gen), which thinking about it in some situations wealthy will overshadow.
4. Attunement its kinda meh, other perks give more benefit IMO, I think it should do what the AI does when teleporting not stopping when taking damage or skipping the teleport CD on buildings so you can TP right after someone does or giving the instant TP option for more gold... I don't know
5. Bounty hunter it's so DOTA :P, and then there is the diminishing gold, that like the move speed I still don't know how it works.
6. Mana regen is okish but like water said circlet + wealthy owns it, and depending on the map you don't even need wealthy.

In the end the main problem here is that some perks, like almighty, give an all around boost which benefit hero most of the time, and others, like bounty hunter or Attunement need some kind of gimmick/action/situation to happen to gain the benefit from it, and depending on the perk it might happen rarely, add to it that I'm lazy (AKA no more micro/actions on my side plz) I always go for the all round ones :P (I think I've never taken the following perks: gifted, engineer and attunement, maybe I took bounty hunter ONCE, to try)

And then there is the evo damage which is a MUST for all evo damage based heroes.